Gibson Brands Forums

Original case?

Flight959

Hi,

I was told my Texan came with it's original case. Does anyone here know what cases were originally shipped with these guitars??

8de94fc1.jpg

The above inside picture looks clean on the inside but quite tatty on the outside...

Regards

Simon

Flight959

While I sure ain't no expert, I know two guys who own early to mid-1960s Texans with what are said to be original Lifton hardshell cases and both are black with gold lining - pretty much the same as Gibson was using during that period.

Lifton cases like yours, the black with green interior, however, are typical for the early 1960s. The Lifton logo in the case looks spot on for the period.

So even if it is not a stock Gibson-supplied case, it is possible that the case was purchased at the same time as the guitar. It might just be that the Texan came with the then standard gray softshell case and the buyer wanted to upgrade or something.

I was told today (by a reliable source) that only Gibson's were initially shipped with gold lining in the lifton cases with the intention of making them more unique giving Gibson an excuse to charge extra $$$.

If this is the wrong case that is usualy for the Epie's, it's possable that they ran out of case's in the store or at the factory and just put it in a case they had on-hand or some got mixed up or the origanal buyer liked the other case better and paid for it extra.. No way to tell for sure realy and I could be wrong too, just taking a stab at it as I've worked in many factories and shop's before.

Archived