Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage1940 HG-00 Restoration Question

Guitar Saloon

Greetings Friends,

I have recently acquired a very nice 1940 Gibson HG-00 which is in immaculate original condition. The problem is that the original tuner buttons have disintegrated - two have fallen off and the others will crumble if the guitar is strung up and tuned.

So, the question is, should I

1. replace the buttons and retain the original tuners,

2. or remove the original tuners intact and keep them for historical accuracy, and replace them with the reproduction vintage bent tab style tuners available at StewMac or

3. Other options suggested by the forum experts :))

Thanks for your help.

Personally, I'd replace just the buttons if the machines operate well. It's a fairly easy thing to put new buttons on, some heat on the shaft and push them on!

Either way, good luck and have fun!! Great project!

Personally, I'd replace just the buttons if the machines operate well. It's a fairly easy thing to put new buttons on, some heat on the shaft and push them on!

Either way, good luck and have fun!! Great project!

+1

From your pic, the metal parts of the tuners look in really good condition. New buttons.

Another vote for new buttons. I'd recommend the Antique Acoustics buttons -- available from Elderly, among other places -- as these are the most accurate reproduction of the originals.

-- Bob R

Another vote for new buttons. I'd recommend the Antique Acoustics buttons -- available from Elderly, among other places -- as these are the most accurate reproduction of the originals.

-- Bob R

I used these buttons to replace the originals on my 1957 LG-1. They are made by Willi Henkes in Germany. They are a little more expensive but much better quality. Also, they are the correct color. None of the other ones are the right color. Plus, they have no molding seam like the cheaper ones. Definitely a must for a vintage guitar you want to keep historically correct.

Heres the link:

Available in white

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AAB1-CREAM.htm

And black:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AAB1-BLACK.htm

Fantastic tips - thank you - those are much nicer than the ones I had found before. Looks like I'll be ordering new buttons! Thank you all. I'll post a pic when they are done. Any other feedback on the project is most welcome.

Fantastic tips - thank you - those are much nicer than the ones I had found before. Looks like I'll be ordering new buttons! Thank you all. I'll post a pic when they are done. Any other feedback on the project is most welcome.

Here is a video from Willi that shows how to install them. Its super easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcXZ8Q5Cij8

I was going to add: take the machines off the guitar before attempting...

The video is sufficient!!!! lol

(some sites I go to the take the machines off suggestion would be essential. I've learned to be specific!! :) )

OK, well thats easy peasy. I've seen other versions of installation that heat the metal using a soldering iron but that seems a bit extreme - I like the boiling water and hairdryer method better! thanks very much for sharing this. [thumbup]

Archived