Gibson Brands Forums

Question about...

matiac

I'll get right to the point:

Does a "Varitone" circuit have to be installed on a stereo guitar, i.e., B.B. King's "Lucille", or can it be used in a monaural circuit? And further, how difficult would it be to "graft" it into an existing configuration, or be more advantageous to just install a whole new harness? I've got a few ideas brewing regarding the modification of the Turser guitar, I'd like to get a 7 series Bigsby trem for it, some of those block inlay stickers for the neck, and the same outfits got the holly inlay stickers for the peghead too, as well as split diamond stickers...turn it into a 355, or something along those lines.

Yes, as Supersonic says, the guitar doesn't have to be stereo and the varitone goes inbetween the hot and ground to the jack. I looked into it for my Sheraton but was put off by probably not getting one through an f-hole, and not wanting to start doing woodworking on the rear of the guitar. Not getting it through the f-hole was an assumption on my part, the couple of pre-prepared ones I found online looked fairly big, but didn't give dimensions.

Are you hoping to get it through an f-hole, or is the Turser a hollow body, or are you thinking of going down the woodwork route?

The Turser is semi-hollow, and was contemplating insertion through the "f"-hole (that just sounds so wrong), but didn't consider size. And no, I don't want to go cutting it up, I'm nervous enough drilling holes for the Bigsby, although I've heard of people just using the strap button to secure the trem, and was thinking of doing it that way. Bear in mind this is all formative at this point, although the sticker deals pretty much a go here as soon as I have some spare change to get them, I just think the guitar would look so much better with block inlays instead of dots, and I've heard good things about the sticker route insofar as being unobtrusive and durable. So I guess I should research the Varitone thing as far as dimensions. Oh yeah, and pointer washers, a.k.a. "thumbcutters", gotta get 4 of those too.

Why, yes. Yes, I do. However, financial constraints at this time dictate that I must make due with what I have, and the inlay stickers are only 9 bucks. That's that 335 reissue they did year before last, right?

Why, yes. Yes, I do. However, financial constraints at this time dictate that I must make due with what I have, and the inlay stickers are only 9 bucks. That's that 335 reissue they did year before last, right?

No, that's the ES-355 that is coming out later this year. I really want one.

Archived