Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson PU is this ?

Privateer

Hi,

has anyone seen a Gibson pickup like this. It was sold to be as Gibson pickup and from my searches, it might a NSX-single coil from the middle position of a Nighthawk, exept that I haven't found on with pole-screws.

I'm looking forward for your answers,

best regards

T. A

post-33569-094897600 1306886255_thumb.jpg

post-33569-062660900 1306886293_thumb.jpg

It is not a typical strat pickup, that is for sure. A strat pup will have pole pieces for magnets, not screws. It does not appear to be a fender product, either. It would not be a pup that would go in any Fender guitars I know of, and neither have I ever seen a Fender with single coil shaped pups with adjustable poles.

It also does NOT look like a typical replacement pup for a strat, but it does have the typical strat single coil shape to suggest that it could fit.

It would appear, that with the screws for poles, it may have a construction similar to a Gibson pup, but that does not mean it is. The question would be is the person calling it a Gibson pup because of that, or is he aware of the guitar it came out of or a Gibson guitar it would go in.

The only thing that suggest gibson to me is the screw pole pieces and the braided wire, but the coil bobbin does not look like a Gibson bobbin, but I have not ever seen a single coil gibson bobbin. But, I am not too much of a Gibson pup expert.

I do know there are a LOT of pups out there, and not knowing of a guitar it came from, I think it more likely it is from something else. I am not expert enough on Melody Makers or Gibby's with single coils to say for sure it isn't.

It is not a typical strat pickup, that is for sure. A strat pup will have pole pieces for magnets, not screws. It does not appear to be a fender product, either. It would not be a pup that would go in any Fender guitars I know of, and neither have I ever seen a Fender with single coil shaped pups with adjustable poles.

It also does NOT look like a typical replacement pup for a strat, but it does have the typical strat single coil shape to suggest that it could fit.

It would appear, that with the screws for poles, it may have a construction similar to a Gibson pup, but that does not mean it is. The question would be is the person calling it a Gibson pup because of that, or is he aware of the guitar it came out of or a Gibson guitar it would go in.

The only thing that suggest gibson to me is the screw pole pieces and the braided wire, but the coil bobbin does not look like a Gibson bobbin, but I have not ever seen a single coil gibson bobbin. But, I am not too much of a Gibson pup expert.

I do know there are a LOT of pups out there, and not knowing of a guitar it came from, I think it more likely it is from something else. I am not expert enough on Melody Makers or Gibby's with single coils to say for sure it isn't.

The Melody Maker is the only one that has that style of single coil, but it looks different for sure. All the other Gibson single coils I have seen are like the soapbar and dogear P90 styled pickups. I just remembered seeing a MM that had a similar pickup so I suggested that.

Is there any manufacturers markings or serial numbers on it at all?

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

The Melody Maker is the only one that has that style of single coil, but it looks different for sure. All the other Gibson single coils I have seen are like the soapbar and dogear P90 styled pickups. I just remembered seeing a MM that had a similar pickup so I suggested that.

IMHO it's not Gibson or Fender, Could be anything else, or after market.

Not entirly true- could be from the LP Studio Lite M-III

ricks.jpg

Not entirly true- could be from the LP Studio Lite M-III

ricks.jpg

Can't really tell from the pics, but does the sc have adjustable poles? I was thinking they weren't just from my memory, but it was long ago since I seen one.

Archived