Gibson Brands Forums

FALD

Namvet

You can lead with blues, I do it all the time, most of the time even.

Yeah, to my untrained ear it seems most rock leads are blues rooted, just done in different rythms, though I may be totally off base with this opinion. [unsure]

Yeah, to my untrained ear it seems most rock leads are blues rooted, just done in different rythms, though I may be totally off base with this opinion. [unsure]

It's well documented that rock, is heavily based in the blues you know. You're not wrong :P I'm in the same boat generally.

Do yourself a favour, go listen to Joe Bonamassa (I like the album "Black Rock" myself) and listen to it. In it you can hear all the different blues inspired riffs and leads in a rock/blues setting.

AC/DC with Angus is another classic example of hard rockin leads that were developed from listening to, and playing the blues.

Same with Clapton, Gallagher, Richards, Hendrix, I mean the list goes on and on.

Try a Blues scale instead of a pentatonic over some backing tracks, or songs that you typically play a pentatonic solo over and see the difference it makes!

Archived