Gibson Brands Forums

Tascam 2488neo

sjl200

Found one for a good price and thinking about pulling the trigger ....anyone using one?

Thoughts about this type of route as opposed to PC based? just guitar and bass with a dr880 is all I use ....so far

thx

I can't comment on the Tascam but I did hear some good things about it. What I can say is that I used to use a Fostex machine and I spent more time reading the manual than I did making music. Even copy and paste, setting a tempo or dropping in were a pain requiring half a dozen button pushes and two or three menus to navigate.

I went the software/PC route about three years ago and it's almost as easy as using a word processor.

I don't know what price you're looking at but in the UK the Tascam's about £600.00 ($960.00 US approx). For that kind of money I could replace my PC and kit it out with a very nice recording system that can grow as I need more.

If you really need all those inputs then go the hardware route but if you're working mostly alone I'd see what you can get in software before you finally decide. Just my opinion.

Thanks, for the response. I've been using a PC with Cubase and am tired of all the mouse work. I have used a Zoom N4h and like its easy use. The 2488neo cost is at $500 US and its the 160G HD model . What appeals to me is the dedicated purpose of the hardware.Using a foot switch and it seems easy at least when compared to the PC. A PC (at least mine) is used for 'other' things and this unit can be used with its small footprint a lot easer then my PC. I think I'm getting it with a DVD tutorial . we shall see .

Thanks, for the response. I've been using a PC with Cubase and am tired of all the mouse work. I have used a Zoom N4h and like its easy use. The 2488neo cost is at $500 US and its the 160G HD model . What appeals to me is the dedicated purpose of the hardware.Using a foot switch and it seems easy at least when compared to the PC. A PC (at least mine) is used for 'other' things and this unit can be used with its small footprint a lot easer then my PC. I think I'm getting it with a DVD tutorial . we shall see .

I took some time and read the spec of the Tascam and I can see that it's tempting, especially at the price. I see you still have the option to convert to .wav files and transfer to your PC over USB later for any further editing so I guess you almost get the best of both worlds. Good luck with it anyway. Maybe if you decide to buy it you might do a mini review of your impressions.

I bought it....I'l let you know after I wade through the sea of buttons and menu's, manuals and tutorials....but hay I fly jets for a living so how hard can it be...right? [crying]

I bought it....I'l let you know after I wade through the sea of buttons and menu's, manuals and tutorials....but hay I fly jets for a living so how hard can it be...right? [crying]

I don't fly jets for a living......I went with the KorgD3200, a monster......Enjoy the Neo; nice machine....Duane uses one.....

SO far so good and for 500 its got enough to keep me 'hacking' for a long time. The Manuel is very wordy but the Pro Audio DVD makes it easy and simple even for this old jet pilot [scared]

Archived