Gibson Brands Forums

12-String tunings/tension...

Hey guys, just a got a bit of a query on the correct tuning for my 12-string. I have the DR212 and keep it in standard tuning (EADGBe), just as it came out the box and how I imagined it would always stay.

Problem is that I've heard a couple of times and read recently that 12-strings should be tuned 2 half steps down (DGCFAD) to reduce stress on the neck and avoid the bridge lifting, which is supposed to be a common problem on a lot of 12-strings( I've never heard this myself mind?). Does this theory merit any belief, as it would just be a case of putting a capo on 2nd fret if playing with standard tuned guitars?

Hey guys, just a got a bit of a query on the correct tuning for my 12-string. I have the DR212 and keep it in standard tuning (EADGBe), just as it came out the box and how I imagined it would always stay.

Problem is that I've heard a couple of times and read recently that 12-strings should be tuned 2 half steps down (DGCFAD) to reduce stress on the neck and avoid the bridge lifting, which is supposed to be a common problem on a lot of 12-strings( I've never heard this myself mind?). Does this theory merit any belief, as it would just be a case of putting a capo on 2nd fret if playing with standard tuned guitars?

My 2 Cents. My Guild 12 string doesn't get played as often as the 6 string guitars in my house, therefore it spends more time sitting in it's case.

Guild and other 12 string makers suggest de-tuning to reduce tension when in storage.

I leave my GAD-30 JF12 tuned to a full step down and just play the next chord up in the scale.

I am not fond of the capo option as it shortens the length of the strings and there fore reduces sound output. I will use the capo if

a song demands a particular chord shape ,however. The amount of tension on the neck of a standard tuned guitar can be quite strong. It

would stand to reason that this tension would increase in a 12 string model.

I play my 12-string more than any of my other guitars, infact it has pride of place in my living room (all the others are in another room), and leave it tuned Standard. I mean, I play it every day pretty much. Does it still call for de-tuning or is this only if it's not being used too often? I mean, the tension on a 12-string can't be THAT much greater than a 6?

I should probably go de-tune all my other guitars now though? They hardly get played but I keep them tuned up... Used to tune them down but got to being a pain...

I have 2 vintage 12 strings-A 1970 Saturn acoustic which I string with D'Addario light 12 string set on and a 1966 Vox Phantom XII that I use a made up set on and have kept both in standard tuning for years with no ill effects.Where the Vox is so old and had a relatively thin neck I start with a set of D'Addario 8-38s then buy loose strings to make up the octave strings such as E 1st-.008,B 2nd-.010,G 3rd-.008,D 4th-.010,A 5th-.017P,E 6th-.022 W.Since the lightest 12 string electric sets come in 9s this configuration works great for me especially when doing Beatles/Byrds/Tom Petty leads on my Phantom XII.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I should probably go de-tune all my other guitars now though? They hardly get played but I keep them tuned up... Used to tune them down but got to being a pain...

IMHO an instrument with a truss rod should not be stored detuned unless you are going to slacken the truss rod too, really, you wouldn't do that*. The Truss rod is countering the tensile force below the neutral axis of the neck, the string tension causes this by compressing the neck material above the neutral axis, so releasing string tension but not truss rod tension will result in an incurable back bow over time.

*One exception is that, sometimes when a neck is really bowed or twisted, a period of time with no string tension and no truss rod tenstion can allow it to straiten out.

Archived