Gibson Brands Forums

S-310 Custom wiring/output question

adb

Hey all -- first post here and I really hope someone can help me out. I have an Epiphone S-310 Custom, with the natural ash body, humbucker in the bridge position and two single coils. This was my very first guitar, my dad bought it for me when I was going through some tough times at age 13 and it changed my life. In the 17 years since I've had many guitars, and this one was cannibalized for parts in various "emergency" situations -- output jack, knobs, tuning heads, bridge all removed at one time or another.. I'm now trying to put it back together piece-by-piece. The good news is that I do have all the original pups, pots, and the selector switch, all still wired together.

My current dilemma is that I can't figure out which output jack I need. I initially grabbed a Switchcraft J11, which is a pretty basic mono jack with Tip/Sleeve connectors. But I'm confused, because there are THREE wires sitting in the input cavity on my guitar. One is black, and the other is like a two-part bundle, a white wire right next to some bare silver wire. I've been trying to figure this out. The Switchcraft J12B is a 3-conductor jack, with connections for Tip/Ring/Sleeve. As I understand, though, it's typically only used for guitars with either Stereo output, or guitars with an active on board preamp that need the extra "ring" connection to activate the battery. I've never known the S-310 to be either of those monsters, so, as I've said, I'm confused. Stumped, really.

If anyone has a similar guitar and would be willing to take a look at -- or even better, a photo of-- the wiring of the input jack, that would be so helpful. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Welcome to the forums, there's great bunch around here, hope you like it.

Does the single black wire attach to the back of one of the pots ??? If so, that would be the earth/ground wire that's supposed to attach to the bridge, this would leave the other two bundled wires for the jack.

Welcome to the forums, there's great bunch around here, hope you like it.

Does the single black wire attach to the back of one of the pots ??? If so, that would be the earth/ground wire that's supposed to attach to the bridge, this would leave the other two bundled wires for the jack.

Thanks for the quick and friendly reply. I'll have to look more closely when I'm home tonight. Is it fairly common for these guitars to ground to the bridge? Is there a specific location on the bridge to ground to? Again, many thanks!

Thanks for the quick and friendly reply. I'll have to look more closely when I'm home tonight. Is it fairly common for these guitars to ground to the bridge? Is there a specific location on the bridge to ground to? Again, many thanks!

Just about all electric guitars (%99.9) ground through the bridge, the wire should be attached to the underside of the bridge, and so that the strings themselves become grounded, a multimeter is a good investment, even if only used to trace wires, they're not very expensive and can be invaluable in checking grounding issues.

There's much more on wiring here.

D0-IT-YOURSELF

Like I said, I'll have to look to confirm when I'm home, but I imagine you're correct, that the black wire needs to be grounded to the bridge/trem. I found the attached photo of a strat's trem claw used for the ground. seems like a logical idea.

I'll be back with more questions if this doesn't work out, but I think I've got it. thanks again!

post-33988-035593000 1308669908_thumb.jpg

Like I said, I'll have to look to confirm when I'm home, but I imagine you're correct, that the black wire needs to be grounded to the bridge/trem. I found the attached photo of a strat's trem claw used for the ground. seems like a logical idea.

I'll be back with more questions if this doesn't work out, but I think I've got it. thanks again!

Ah that's right, they have a strat style trem, in that case the claw would be an ideal place to attach it to.

to confirm, that black wire was indeed coming from the volume pot, so I know it was supposed to tbe ground to bridge. It's been probably 10 years since I've opened the guitar up, and for some reason someone threaded that black wire into the input cavity which really threw me for a loop. At any rate, got it grounded to the trem claw and wired up the output no problem.

I'm almost done. Waiting for tuning pegs to arrive and I'm sure there will be minor tweaks to be made after that.

musicmaker99, thanks for the pic -- reminds me how nice it can look once back in action :)

to confirm, that black wire was indeed coming from the volume pot, so I know it was supposed to tbe ground to bridge. It's been probably 10 years since I've opened the guitar up, and for some reason someone threaded that black wire into the input cavity which really threw me for a loop. At any rate, got it grounded to the trem claw and wired up the output no problem.

I'm almost done. Waiting for tuning pegs to arrive and I'm sure there will be minor tweaks to be made after that.

musicmaker99, thanks for the pic -- reminds me how nice it can look once back in action :)

It sounds like you've got it. If not, let me know [thumbup]

Well, done for now. Got it all strung up last night and took some serious bridge and trem adjustment to get it into playing shape, but I was actaully pleasantly surprised. I had to strum out some Nirvana tunes (lithium, rape me) to invoke the ghosts of 18 years ago, learning to play on this thing. good times. here she hangs, the wooden wonder, the guitar that changed my life.

post-33988-096171400 1308921269_thumb.jpg

Archived