Gibson Brands Forums

339 acoustic tone from model to model

Mule 1

I have picked up a 339 figured about 6 months go and fell in love. At the time that was the only one in the store. Since them I have played several more. The other day I picked up an Alpine White one and the acoustic tone was twice as loud as mine. I took (3) 339's and they ALL sound completely different! Plugged in the louder and more rounded tone blew them away. I ended up putting a hold on it! I cant believe the wide difference in tone among these models. From bright and quiet to loud and rounded.

Has anybody found this too? Did you find the louder acoustically sounded better amplified?

Yes each guitar sounds different up to a point. Some will be the same as another. That is the point of trying as many as possible. I like the acoustically loud electrics especially the chambered Les Pauls as I seem to be able to get a wider range of tones because of the loud, woody, acoustic tone.

Yes, my experience was the same in comparing 339s side by side, with lots of varition from one to another. Acoustic tone does indeed generally represent the amplified tone. I too went with the brightest & punchiest of the lot.

Yes, my experience was the same in comparing 339s side by side, with lots of varition from one to another. Acoustic tone does indeed generally represent the amplified tone. I too went with the brightest & punchiest of the lot.

Same here... The first 339 I saw in my local music shop (Alto Music in Middletown) was disappointing because of a flat empty sound when played acoustically. Made me think I didn't really want one after all.

A couple of months later the store put out another one in Pelham Blue and it was night and day different from the first one. The tone was so rich I was surprised it was still on the wall.

It went home with me a couple of days later...

Archived