Gibson Brands Forums

vintage Hummingbird

scotchdave

Hi, I have an original 1963 Gibson Hummingbird, cherry sunburst, mahogany back and sides and always thought that these models had the shorter scale length but mine has the longer (25 & 1/4) scale length, I know that in this period a few longer scale models with the maple back and sides were produced but not too sure of the mahogany models, can anyone supply me with more information, was this a custom order maybe, any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Interesting – I'm very fond the sq. sh. Dreads from the early 60s. Never heard of your variant. All I know is that many unexpected combos left the plant back in those days.

4 Q.'s come up -

Can you describe the sound - pros/cons ?

What kind of bridge ?

Is it Kluson Tulip tuners ?

Can you post a photo of this rare Bird ?

By the way welcome aboard -

Hi, I have an original 1963 Gibson Hummingbird, cherry sunburst, mahogany back and sides and always thought that these models had the shorter scale length but mine has the longer (25 & 1/4) scale length, I know that in this period a few longer scale models with the maple back and sides were produced but not too sure of the mahogany models, can anyone supply me with more information, was this a custom order maybe, any help would be appreciated.Thanks

The long-scale 'Birds have a 25 1/2" scale, I believe. Short scale is 24 3/4". Nowadays, only the new 'Bird Pro is long-scale. How are you measuring the scale?

Whitford ("...Fabulous Flat-Tops") says the '65-'67 model year 'Birds were long-scale, as were the maple Doves. '63 should be short-scale, so I don't really know what you've got.

Hi, thanks for the replys, its a 1963 model (serial no. 143983) serial number stamped on rear of headstock ties up with the orange label inside, all original apart from replacement ebony bridge, gold kluson deluxe tuners,I'm measuring the scale length from the start of the nut to the saddle, is it the length of the neck that determines the scale length? Soundwise it really is in a league of its own, rich, vibrant with great resonance and volume.Trying to upload a pic but

Hi, thanks for the replys, its a 1963 model (serial no. 143983) serial number stamped on rear of headstock ties up with the orange label inside, all original apart from replacement ebony bridge, gold kluson deluxe tuners,I'm measuring the scale length from the start of the nut to the saddle, is it the length of the neck that determines the scale length? Soundwise it really is in a league of its own, rich, vibrant with great resonance and volume.Trying to upload a pic but file too big, will get back to you on that one

Ok guys, have taken some measurements and think its a short scale after all, from the nut to the exact centre point of the 12th fret it is 12 & 3/8 and most websites are saying if you then double this figure it gives you the scale length which would be 25 & 3/4, got a bit confused I think as I measured from the nut to the centre of the saddle which is 25 & 1/4, anyway I hope I'm right, any help would be grateful though.ps still cant get a pic onto the site as my file is too large,

Archived