Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Perry boneyard PU not out of phase

raiklei

I own a Joe Perry Boneyard LP. In the middle position (both PU) one f them is out of phase, which produces a thin nasal sound. I'd like to change that so the pu is not out of phase. But i can't just switch the PU wires, than one pU doesn't work at all. I heard, the the bursbucker is constructed out of phase. So what can I d0? Can I change a PU? Which one must i replace? Can anyone help me?

I own a Joe Perry Boneyard LP. In the middle position (both PU) one f them is out of phase, which produces a thin nasal sound. I'd like to change that so the pu is not out of phase. But i can't just switch the PU wires, than one pU doesn't work at all. I heard, the the bursbucker is constructed out of phase. So what can I d0? Can I change a PU? Which one must i replace? Can anyone help me?

The "Peter Green" Mod :) (Love Mine)

Can't see why you would want to change it. but thats your choice...

The CHEAPEST way is you get your local luther to do it HOWEVER if its a double wire you'll need him to remove the pickup cover and reverse the magnet

It should cost £10-20 (£20 if you need the magnet reversed)

Can't see why you would want to change it.

Probably because he doesn't like how it sounds.

And this is NOT the Peter Green mod.

The pickups in the Boneyard LP are wired out of phase. It gives a similar effect to the Peter Green mod, but there is no messing around with the magnet involved. It would seem to me that you could just reverse the leads of the pickup in the control cavity of the Boneyard LP if you don't like how it sounds.

If the pickup in question only has 1 hot wire and and 1 shield then switching the wires would only cancel it out. If the pickup has multiple cores for different wiring options then swapping over the wire that goes to ground (not the shield!) and the hot wire, will reverse the phase of the pickup.

Archived