Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts about the Gibson Midtown Standard

x24guitarman

Midtown Standard

As a 336 player/owner I'm kinda glad to see these come out. Granted, I'm not going to add a Bigsby to my axe but I feel this will only increase the value of our guitars. Gibson also seems to be promoting the 339s and folks are buying them largely b/c of their price point and value. Those factors make me think that the 336s are going to become like the 356s and 359s- highly sought after b/c of their lack of availability. Sure, it's probably too soon to tell what may happen in 20-30yrs with regards to these guitars but it's fun to speculate.

I don't think these will have any bearing on the future value of your CS-336 (or my CS-356). And, just to get my digs in: I continue to maintain that Gibson could sell more CS-356's if they'd just put them on their website.

But I do think they're at least trying to come up with something a little different and accessibly priced with this: chambered mahogany, flat (not carved) maple top, what looks like more upper-fret access than the 339/336/356 (if you draw a mental line from the bottom of the cutawy across the frets), a headstock that looks to be somewhere between regular size and straight-pull, and fewer knobs... They can't really call it an ES since it's not ply, and can't call it a CS since it appears to be from Gibson USA... They can't call it a Thinline Tele with a Bigsby or a Jet either!

In the long run, and in "this" economy I tip my hat to them for trying to come up with (relatively) value-priced new models like the ES-339 and this. The 339 at least seems like it will be around for years. I don't see, the Midtown being around as long with these specs - I just hope it doesn't kill the market for 336's and 356's!

I'd like to see Gibson come out with something that isn't based on the 335 silhouette, personally. Call me crazy, that's just me.

On the contrary, the fewer LP & more 335 based guitars the better! The Midtown looks like an interesting variation.

Archived