Gibson Brands Forums

possible paint cracking on '57?

w66

Hi Guys,

I have read that if a guitar gets to cold, the finish can crack.

I keep mine in a reasonably warm room [not below 19deg] but I have noticed 2 marks that I havn't seen before, they look like scratches, one on top the other below, they are about half an inch long and only about as thin as a hair, but dont look like plain surface scratches, they look a bit deeper but are only visible from some angles.

I'm not complaining about the guitar, I think it's great and if they are light scratches thats fine, I just want to find out if they are scratches or the start of cracking paint so that if it is the start of cracking I can raise the room temp.

Incase its relevant, the guitar is kept in its case at all times when not in use.

thanks for any help.

it wouldn't be the paint cracking, it would be the nitrocellulose lacquer that seals in the paint. it seems unlikely that a guitar that is not exposed to radical tempearture changes would be having this kind of problem, but i guess anything is possible. if you have a chance, you might want your local authorized service center to take a look at it and see what he thinks...

it wouldn't be the paint cracking' date=' it would be the nitrocellulose lacquer that seals in the paint. it seems unlikely that a guitar that is not exposed to radical tempearture changes would be having this kind of problem, but i guess anything is possible. if you have a chance, you might want your local authorized service center to take a look at it and see what he thinks...[/quote']

Ok,

Thanks for the help.

Archived