Gibson Brands Forums

Plek your older SG models

dsidlowe

I have a 64 SG Standard with tremelo that I bought when I was 14 years old. Needless to say it is worth much more now. I took the SG to Joe Glasser here in Nashville to have a cracked nut fixed. (Not mine, the guitar's) Joe suggested I have the guitar run through his Plek machine that he had in his shop due to the work he had been doing with Gibson at the time. Well, SG players know that the neck just seems to go on forever and can be fussy, so I told Joe to go ahead. I could not believe the results. The guitar I had brought to him was in great shape as far as its playability, but the Plek machine as he operated the keyboard on the machines computer turned out to be a true heaven to play. The action was amazing with no buzz and the guitar seemed much better than when I bought it many years ago. I will admit I do not have perfect memory but the Plek machine turned it into what I would have to say is the perfect electric. If you have an older SG, I would highly recommend sending it to Joe. I understand that Joe was instrumental (no pun) in Gibson's adoption of the Plek machine in cutting the nuts and grinding the frets of its new guitars. Those who bought SG's in the last couple of years probably have received the benefit of the factory's use of this computer controlled machine. Joe let me watch the process as the computer cut the new nut and then ground the frets on my guitar to perfection. I was afraid of what this machine was doing to my guitar, but the results were truly fantastic. I do not recall what Joe charged me but it was a true bargain given the outcome.

Sounds expensive....as for me I have a guy who has authored his own book on guitar repair and building Bill Foley of German Village Music Haus here in Columbus Ohio. He has been doing my frets on all my guitars for about 30 years now. The frets always come back like mirrors. He is a master lutheir and the only other person I would let touchmy guitars is Ed Roman...of B.C. Rich Fame.

Archived