Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker

voughtrazer

Hi everyone.

I have a question, I saw this beauty and I wonder is she going to be available for us (United States)?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute-Humbucker.aspx

I'm a bit undecided since I want to buy the 60's tribute Les Paul, but I just simply don't feel comfortable with the sound of the P90's.

Also I saw on other posts that this Gibson (1960's tribute) is having a couple of quality related issues. That's why i'm wondering if I should hold my money for this guitar, also I was thinking about the Epiphone double neck, since I need it when playing in gigs. I kinda need an advise.

Thanks

First off have you played a epi doulbe neck, after a few mins you just wanna put it back down.

That model already came out, and they came out of the shelves quickly. Sold, done.

The P-90 model can suit alot of needs, you might want one.

First off have you played a epi doulbe neck, after a few mins you just wanna put it back down.

That model already came out, and they came out of the shelves quickly. Sold, done.

The P-90 model can suit alot of needs, you might want one.

Yes I tried it (The Double neck), it's quite comfortable for me, I kinda like it. but on the other side I need a Les Paul sound like this tribute. about value I think both guitars may keep the same price as the years go by. But I have another question, how often Gibson does tributes or limited stock guitars? Thanks for your help.

Hi everyone.

I have a question, I saw this beauty and I wonder is she going to be available for us (United States)?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute-Humbucker.aspx

I'm a bit undecided since I want to buy the 60's tribute Les Paul, but I just simply don't feel comfortable with the sound of the P90's.

Also I saw on other posts that this Gibson (1960's tribute) is having a couple of quality related issues. That's why i'm wondering if I should hold my money for this guitar, also I was thinking about the Epiphone double neck, since I need it when playing in gigs. I kinda need an advise.

Thanks

Hello! First of all: how much do You know about the Epi doubleneck's construction? I recomment to walk around this subject...If You dislike to P-90's the humbucker version of 50's Tribute is a great guitar! I'll surely buy one soon. http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_studio_worn_hb.htm - They ship to US too.

Hello! First of all: how much do You know about the Epi doubleneck's construction? I recomment to walk around this subject...If You dislike to P-90's the humbucker version of 50's Tribute is a great guitar! I'll surely buy one soon. http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_studio_worn_hb.htm - They ship to US too.

I really don't know very much about the construction of that epi, never found a topic specially related to the construction of it. I kinda need some advise related to the construction of both guitars (gibson's tribute les paul and epiphone double neck) quality and value. thanks a lot

I love mine- There's a thread on it a bit further down.

I know that Gibson are testing the water through Thomann before they decide to produce more widely. Secondly, if you do a narrowed search for LPs on Thomann site and then click on the brown/gold 'top sellers' tab at the top of the page you'll see that the Tribute HB models are their top selling Les Pauls at the moment. I'd bet you'll be able to buy them in the US before the end of the year.

As to your other question, I own Epis and Gibbys and I like both- an upgraded Epi (pickups wise) is not far behind a Gibson provided you find a nice player. However,I would say that Gibsons are a more beautifully crafted instrument and have a more organic/natural feel to them when you play them. Therefore, you need to make sure you get a nice player if you go the Epi route.

Lastly, why a double neck when they're heavy and cumbersome? Have you thought about an Epi Ultra II which has a Nanomag pickup to give you an acoustic sounding option? Alternatively you could consider an acoustic guitar simulator effects pedal?

Alan

I love mine- There's a thread on it a bit further down.

I know that Gibson are testing the water through Thomann before they decide to produce more widely. Secondly, if you do a narrowed search for LPs on Thomann site and then click on the brown/gold 'top sellers' tab at the top of the page you'll see that the Tribute HB models are their top selling Les Pauls at the moment. I'd bet you'll be able to buy them in the US before the end of the year.

As to your other question, I own Epis and Gibbys and I like both- an upgraded Epi (pickups wise) is not far behind a Gibson provided you find a nice player. However,I would say that Gibsons are a more beautifully crafted instrument and have a more organic/natural feel to them when you play them. Therefore, you need to make sure you get a nice player if you go the Epi route.

Lastly, why a double neck when they're heavy and cumbersome? Have you thought about an Epi Ultra II which has a Nanomag pickup to give you an acoustic sounding option? Alternatively you could consider an acoustic guitar simulator effects pedal?

Alan

Thanks for all of that info Alan, thank you very much, but do you think stores like sam-ash will get those (Les paul 50's tribute HB)?

I'm buying only from them since I have the store card and the payments of the guitar are a bit comfortable for me.

About the double neck, its because I need it, sometimes its better to have 2 guitars at the same time, I need it to change from rhythm guitar to lead, and I can have it in a different tune each one.

I already played the double neck, it's really comfortable (for me), the only think I see that it needs work on are the pickups and I think the nut.

About the Epiphone Ultra II how good is it?

Thank you.

Thanks for all of that info Alan, thank you very much, but do you think stores like sam-ash will get those (Les paul 50's tribute HB)?

I'm buying only from them since I have the store card and the payments of the guitar are a bit comfortable for me.

About the double neck, its because I need it, sometimes its better to have 2 guitars at the same time, I need it to change from rhythm guitar to lead, and I can have it in a different tune each one.

I already played the double neck, it's really comfortable (for me), the only think I see that it needs work on are the pickups and I think the nut.

About the Epiphone Ultra II how good is it?

Thank you.

I think Gibson are realising that there is a market for stripped down versions of their guitars, provided that the finishes are a bit more interesting than the usual faded brown or faded cherry versions. I can't see myself ever justifying spending the sort of money a Gibby LP standard costs. However, as far as I'm concerned, these Tributes offer professional quality but at a sensible price. I'm sure the Tribute HB will be more widely available but you may have to wait a little if you don't want to order one from Germany. [incidentally, I had mine shipped from Germany to the UK without any problems- Thomann package them very well. They double box them and add special padding inside the cardboard.]

I've never played an Ultra II but, bar the differences in electronics/pickups, I believe it is the same quality as the Epi LP standard. It is chambered like the Gibson LP Studio tributes too.

I can see why you want either an Epi double neck or a LP now I've noticed your Led Zep signature. Why not get both so you can satisfy your needs....and maybe a Paisley Tele while you're at it!

Alan

Have you considered the robot Les Paul as that automatically does different tunings for you? Rhyhtm to lead switching is better achieved with your pickup selector and volume/tone knobs; or via pedals/amp channel footswitch.

Really, you'd be better off with two guitars eventually.

I think Gibson are realising that there is a market for stripped down versions of their guitars, provided that the finishes are a bit more interesting than the usual faded brown or faded cherry versions. I can't see myself ever justifying spending the sort of money a Gibby LP standard costs. However, as far as I'm concerned, these Tributes offer professional quality but at a sensible price. I'm sure the Tribute HB will be more widely available but you may have to wait a little if you don't want to order one from Germany. [incidentally, I had mine shipped from Germany to the UK without any problems- Thomann package them very well. They double box them and add special padding inside the cardboard.]

I've never played an Ultra II but, bar the differences in electronics/pickups, I believe it is the same quality as the Epi LP standard. It is chambered like the Gibson LP Studio tributes too.

I can see why you want either an Epi double neck or a LP now I've noticed your Led Zep signature. Why not get both so you can satisfy your needs....and maybe a Paisley Tele while you're at it!

Alan

Thanks again Alan for your advise. So do you think that this p90 Les Paul its going to be worth buying? I mean I think about if the price of the guitar will drop as the years go by (just in the case I need to sell it).

hehe, yeah i'm a zep fan (perhaps the number 1), but it's not because of Jimmy, but it's about how handy it can be in certain cases (the double neck), I love the les paul and even more the honey burst color.

About the Telecaster, I own one already and I love its tone, specially in the middle position.

Thanks!

Have you considered the robot Les Paul as that automatically does different tunings for you? Rhyhtm to lead switching is better achieved with your pickup selector and volume/tone knobs; or via pedals/amp channel footswitch.

Really, you'd be better off with two guitars eventually.

I really never played one, and I want to try it before making a decision, that's why I avoid buying new models or guitars online. But I'll consider your advise tomorrow at my local music store. I will try both guitars and see the pros and cons of each guitar. Thanks a lot for your time again Alan.

Hello! I'm new in this forum! I would like to know if the 50's tribute humbucker is comparable to the les paul studio ebony... I've played a les paul studio ebony and i loved it, but its kinda expensive... 1100€ and the 50's tribute humbucker is 700€.Its for my first electric guitar. I would like a les paul. for now my options are:

--> Prs se custom 24 24th anniversary.

--> Epiphone les paul custom silverburst.

--> Gibson les paul studio ebony.

--> Gibson les paul studio 50's tribute humbucker.

--> Gibson les paul studio 50's/60's tribute (but im not sure about the p90's)

I play mostly Rock, alternative rock, Metal (not much), blues. (Metallica, Muse, Guns n' Roses, Slash, etc)

Yeah, i need your help! Thanks!

Hi Ricardo,

As you've probably read above, I have the LP Studio '50s Tribute humbucker model. It's identical to the regular studio in terms of electronics/pups, hardware and neck ('50s). The only difference is that there are only 1-2 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer on the tribute versus about 9 coats on the normal studio. Some would probably say that Gibson use lower quality cuts of wood or more pieces of wood on their cheaper guitars but I don't buy that argument for non custom shop models. Mine has a two piece body and, if the wood were horrible, it would be a lot more obvious through its 'faded' finish.

So, if you want a Les Paul and the Gibson name and you don't mind all the fancy trimmings like glossy finishes and binding, then you can't get much better value than 699 Euros for the Studio Tribute HB. Incidentally, none of the bands you cite use P90s. As such, I would go for humbuckers in your situation. While P90s sound nice I think they'd lack the sustain needed for your musical tastes.

BTW, Epiphone LP Standards have all the fancy 'bling' and are very nice guitars but they need a pickup upgrade to get a more professional tone, IMHO.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Ricardo,

As you've probably read above, I have the LP Studio '50s Tribute humbucker model. It's identical to the regular studio in terms of electronics/pups, hardware and neck ('50s). The only difference is that there are only 1-2 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer on the tribute versus about 9 coats on the normal studio. Some would probably say that Gibson use lower quality cuts of wood or more pieces of wood on their cheaper guitars but I don't buy that argument for non custom shop models. Mine has a two piece body and, if the wood were horrible, it would be a lot more obvious through its 'faded' finish.

So, if you want a Les Paul and the Gibson name and you don't mind all the fancy trimmings like glossy finishes and binding, then you can't get much better value than 699 Euros for the Studio Tribute HB. Incidentally, none of the bands you cite use P90s. As such, I would go for humbuckers in your situation. While P90s sound nice I think they'd lack the sustain needed for your musical tastes.

BTW, Epiphone LP Standards have all the fancy 'bling' and are very nice guitars but they need a pickup upgrade to get a more professional tone, IMHO.

Cheers

Alan

Yeah, the lp standard i tried kinda sucked in sound... For a guitar i Surely want a les paul... Between gibson and epi i want the gibson right away. With humbuckers. But below 1000€, isnt there a cool les paul for those styles?

Yeah, the lp standard i tried kinda sucked in sound... For a guitar i Surely want a les paul... Between gibson and epi i want the gibson right away. With humbuckers. But below 1000€, isnt there a cool les paul for those styles?

Is this cool enough for you....................?

DSC02557.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02554.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

Sure! How much does it cost? What model is it?

In euros please.

That guitar is awesome, and even if i dont like the pickups i could put some burstbucker pros right?

Sure! How much does it cost? What model is it?

It's the Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker model that this thread is all about.....the one you said costs 700 Euros.

They're only available from Thomann.de

Alan

and even if i dont like the pickups i could put some burstbucker pros right?

Certainly.....

...it does have a printed circuit board which would make that a little more inconvenient than traditional wiring.

However, the 490R/498T combo is fantastic for rock, metal, blues etc.

It would be great exactly as it comes for your musical tastes.

Alan

Certainly.....

...it does have a printed circuit board which would make that a little more inconvenient than traditional wiring.

However, the 490R/498T combo is fantastic for rock, metal, blues etc.

It would be great exactly as it comes for your musical tastes.

Alan

Right! Thank you, you have been a good helper!

Right! Thank you, you have been a good helper!

Now go for it!

I've just been checking Thomann for you. If you want the Honeyburst colour you should contact them first as those seem to be in and out of stock. They currently have the Gold top though.

My Honeyburst took 4 working days to get to the UK. It came very well packaged. Thomann are very good but be sure not to be left waiting for out of stock items.

Alan

DSC02557.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02554.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

What A Nice guitar. love it.

I went to my local guitar shop and I saw a guitar that I never saw in my life before.

It was a Satin Gold Les paul Studio entirely made with maple.

I played it and at that very same minute I fell in love with her.

Here's a pic of the guitar.

http://www2.gibson.com/Images/Products/ElectricGuitars/Les-Paul/Gibson/Raw-Power/Satin-Gold/LPSRPSGGH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

The blonde neck it's just amazing, 50's profile neck.

I saw that the price was 1300 Dollars before and at the store it was at 939 Dollars.

I checked the back of the neck and it was dated 2009 (Quite weird), it wasn't pre owned, it was brand new, never shown in the store until that day.

I checked the guitar it is an Gibson Les paul Studio Raw power.

I played it and the Gibson’s 57 Classic pickups sound just amazing.

Checked at the back of the body to see how many body pieces the guitar had, it was also painted gold in the back and the back of the neck as well, something that I never saw either before.

I didn't have the money to buy it right away, but I gave them the 20% of it and now it's in hold for me.

It may take some time for me to finally pay it and take it home. I thought that if I wait to save the money for that guitar, It might be to late for me to get that guitar.

Archived