Gibson Brands Forums

Identification and serial number confusion

papazeb832

This post is also on the introduce yourself thread.reconsidered an thought this may be appropriate here as well.

I have a friend that recently became the caretaker of what I believe to be a es-150 but she and I are having trouble narrowing it down exactly. the serial numbers have confused me an every model I see that is similar isn't quite right. there is no wood insert under the bridge , it has a 6 digit serial number starting with 53 pressed in the back of the head , dots instead of trapziod inlays. but everything else seems to match. she didn't want to advertise seeing it was her late fathers guitar so I volunteered and am helping. any info on which way I need to pursuit this matter would be helpful. she is NOT looking to sell. really I think she just wants a o.e.m pick guard seeing as her dad deemed it unnecessary an has long since gone. thanks again.

post-34550-076857500 1311053814_thumb.jpgpost-34550-065931400 1311053799_thumb.jpg

This appears to be an ES-125, circa 1968-1969.

any reason you would know of as to why it does not have a wood piece under the bridge? its 16 wide by 3.5 wide . all the other models i see dont have chrome pick up covers either. are these some tales that I should consider to see if it is a special model or were there none?

any reason you would know of as to why it does not have a wood piece under the bridge? its 16 wide by 3.5 wide . all the other models i see dont have chrome pick up covers either. are these some tales that I should consider to see if it is a special model or were there none?

Details on a low-end model like this are kind of sketchy in the sources I'm using, so it's hard to be definitive. I don't think it's a "special" model. The lack of a rosewood bridge base is not all that unusual for this time period (on some models). I'm not sure if the chrome pickup covers became standard on this model in its final years (it was discontinued in 1970), but I don't find it so unusual.

I didn't find anything comparable on ebay, but a gbase search turned up this 1968 ES-125CD (cutaway, double pickup), which has no bridge base, and has the chrome covers:

p1_umf25ahnb_so.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up any other info, but I'm pretty sure it's a stock 125 from the very late 60's.

Edit: here's a '68 thin-body version:

68GbsnES125TD-PAGE.jpg

Thanks allot . that definitely helped . I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I had been seeing the similarities with these other makes but could not find the same as this one. those are some pretty examples also.after you mentioned ebay I researched it as well an think there are a few pick guards to chose from so I appreciate the suggestion and the info.some of the reviews I see on this model are not so nice but I dont think that will matter to someone who will not be interested in resale. thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks allot . that definitely helped . I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I had been seeing the similarities with these other makes but could not find the same as this one. those are some pretty examples also.after you mentioned ebay I researched it as well an think there are a few pick guards to chose from so I appreciate the suggestion and the info.some of the reviews I see on this model are not so nice but I dont think that will matter to someone who will not be interested in resale. thanks again

Archived