Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to ID L series Gibson? Please help, it's for a good cause

Willens

Just real quick, sorry about being completely uneducated regarding Gibsons, I'm just a fusion player that uses Ibanez/Jacksons mostly. I am looking to buy this guitar from my great grandmother, it would give her more money for hospital expenses, hence what brings me here...

I've been scouring the net, looking at pictures, reading what's available, and I can only assume (see also: dangerous) that this is an L-7, L-10, or L-12? No idea on specific model.

Here are some pictures a family member sent me:

gibson3.jpg Serial 1307

gibson2.jpg

gibson1.jpg

gibson4.jpg

Thanks for any help, it means a lot.

I was told that my grandmother's favorite nephew Jesse (this was a long time ago) used to play this guitar for her, and it was approximately early 40's, so late 30's would be probable. Do you a have a solid picture of a real L-37? google images will give anything remotely affiliated, so I don't particularly trust it.

I was just baffled entirely; it has no special fretmarkers or neck binding like the L-12's, but to me? It looks the same. I'm also a know-nothing on the matter, so I'm more inclined to listen with an open mind on the matter.

You help is tremendous, irrespectively.

-Willens

SWeeeeT ! [thumbup]

Thanks! It really turned me on to vintage Gibsons when I laid eyes on the pictures; I would love to play/shred some jazz/blues on this thing!

It's nothing personal against Gibsons, fantastic guitars, but not-so-great for extreme metal/fusion playing ;) I just love my Wizard necks (Ibanez) but I'm looking to branch out into "unplugged" playing more.

There are things about this that are puzzling me...

An L-37 is supposed (according to Gruhn) to have a bound pickguard (the L-30 had an unbound guard, but they had a silkscreen logo).

So far, I haven't found any L-37 images that closely match this guitar. All the ones I'm finding seem to have silkscreened logos.

I recognize that art deco tailpiece design, but I can't find an image anywhere, which might help pin down the year a bit more.

The serial (or factory order) number. What is that red "7" all about? At any rate, I can't make any sense of the number, but it's not the first time.

=====

According to Wheeler ("American Guitars"), the L-37 bridge went from ebony to rosewood in 1938. This one appears to be ebony. Along with the fact that the finish went from red mahogany sunburst (1935-36) to brown sunburst in 1937 (Gruhn), this guitar would seem to be a 1937 model.

Wow, Jim and Larry; you both have truly outdone yourself helping me out; Jim: I was equally puzzled by the "not-to-spec" bits, I can't land it on anything.

So would you lean more towards L-30, or L-37?

and of course, the dreaded question:

Would paying $1000 for this be safe?

Wow, Jim and Larry; you both have truly outdone yourself helping me out; Jim: I was equally puzzled by the "not-to-spec" bits, I can't land it on anything.

I'm a little puzzled, but then again, Gibson designs were evolving rapidly, and things were not yet as standardized on some models as they would later become (hell, this model was only in existence for about six years).

So would you lean more towards L-30, or L-37?

I'm definitely leaning more toward an L-37. The inlaid logo and the deluxe deco tailpiece are nice features, by the way.

and of course, the dreaded question:

Would paying $1000 for this be safe?

I'd say so. It looks to be in really nice condition (please keep it that way... go easy on the "shredding" [wink] ).

No exact matches, and it's subjective anyway, but you might want to take a look here: http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&keyword=gibson+l37

I'm definitely leaning more toward an L-37. The inlaid logo and the deluxe deco tailpiece are nice features, by the way.

Thanks!

I'd say so. It looks to be in really nice condition (please keep it that way... go easy on the "shredding" [wink] ).

Haha it's more-or-less a "play it once or twice, and leave it stored/respected" situation, given it's family history.

And thanks for the regards towards my great grandmother, she's something else.

Just found this one, sold in 2008.

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-36016-Vintage-Gibson-L-37-Arch-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-1939

Again, silkscreened logo, though, unbound p'guard, plainer tailpiece. Yours might actually be something slightly special/unusual. I've got quite a few reference books, but I wish I had a source with more details on this model.

Thanks for that link; I am also led to believe that it's something unusual/special, and it seems more and more evident that it is a 37, based on what I continue to find.

This is interesting to learn about, and great to see that it's not a "run-of-the-mill" piece.

• 2 months later...

Hi....just found my way back to this forum after a long time away.

I'm calling this a 1934 L-50....with a replaced more recent tailpiece.

(tailpiece looks like one from an early 50's ES-125)

The stamped number is a '34 factory order number.

L-50's in '34 had the smaller 14.75" bodies that were of the same size and proportion as the L-30 and L-37 models that came just a few years later.

Both f-hole and roundhole versions were made at this time. Inlaid headstock logo, ebony bridge are also typical.

This one also appears to have an elevated fingerboard extension that is characteristic of the earlier pre-16" L-50.

Looks nice!

ziz

Good eye, ziz. I think you may be right. That tailpiece still puzzles me, though. The design screams 1930's (art deco/moderne), but it's true that it does show up on ES125's of the early 50's. I wonder if it might have originated in the 30's, and been used later in order to clear out inventory.

Minor point, but most of the ES125 tailpieces from the early 50's seem to have a base with a slightly different shape:

p1_us4gorhw1_so.jpg

Archived