Gibson Brands Forums

Are these fake epis?

piperamirez

I found this brazilian site that sells Epiphone guitars and basses www.musicalgrellmann.com.br

I noticed that some of them have all chromed neck plates, different from the traditional ones I have seen in many epis.

Traditional neck plate

33l0d1k.jpg

Weird chromed neck plate

207uw0h.png

These are some of the models that come with this unusual detail:

Les Paul LP100

http://www.musicalgrellmann.com.br/loja/produto-54103-12877-guitarra_epiphone_les_paul_lp100__honey_burst

Thunderbird IV

http://www.musicalgrellmann.com.br/loja/produto-54103-11661-contra_baixo_epiphone_thunderbird_iv_4_cordas__vintage_sunburst

What do you think?

so is it some kind of update present in recent production?

The plates have been different over the years and accross the factories, actually... I bet some of guys here might keep record on stuff like this, maybe RTH does, but if the change is recent, then perhaps there is little chance someone knows [unsure]

The plates have been different over the years and accross the factories, actually... I bet some of guys here might keep record on stuff like this, maybe RTH does, but if the change is recent, then perhaps there is little chance someone knows [unsure]

No, I have no records of neck plates. They vary too often between guitars, factories and years to try and nail them down. I dont even list neck plate types in the wiki becuase they are so inconsistent. Same thing with serial numbers. Sometimes they are on the neck plate, sometimes they are on the headstock or on a sticker on the neck. There are just too many variations to properly keep track.

I am fairly positive that the deep engraved plates, like the top one, are older 1990's-ish neck plates. I'm pretty sure they quit making those some time in the late 90's.

I am fairly positive that the deep engraved plates, like the top one, are older 1990's-ish neck plates. I'm pretty sure they quit making those some time in the late 90's.

I think those still come on the standard Thunderbirds. But not sure, 'cause I don't really care about them.

Archived