Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Bass

smithy1776

Do Epiphone have a custom shop, or can you get the Gibson shop to build you an Epi bass?

Technically, Epiphone does not have a Custom Shop. Any "Custom Shop" Epis are usually limited runs with limited color and hardware schemes, but they are made along side the rest of the Epiphones. I dont think you can order a totally customised Epiphone.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of private luthiers, though, who can build you a custom guitar or bass to your specifications, using an Epiphone design (or any other) as a starting point. Their prices are often comparable to, or better than, what the Gibson Custom Shop would charge you for the same instrument.

Many well-known guitarists play what appear to be custom Fenders, Gibsons, Gretsches, et al, but are actually made by independent luthiers to look like a Les Paul, Strat, SG, etc. while having other specifics requested by the guitarist. Jack White and Billy Gibbons are two I'm aware of that fit this category.

I wonder if a custom set neck bass could be built with Warmouth parts and epoxy or horse hide glue instead of bolts for the neck. Hmmm.... Thinking about building a mahogany Fenderbird with a P and J pickup setup... My big concern is the way sound would or wouldn't transfer through epoxy. It's solid stuff, and would fill all gaps completely, but if it creates a damper instead of a solid transfer, it's a problem.

Archived