Gibson Brands Forums

SG with factory installed EMG pickups

Rockbobm

Hi,

I just purchased a used SG with factory equiped EMG active pickups. I know this because the battery compartment is factory installed as well. Anyway, I,m hardly getting any volume when plugged into a amp, even with a brand new battery. the sound will come in and out. The volume is pretty low even when you can hear anything. Can I check an active pickup with a voltmeter? Should I replace the cheap Korean pots? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi RockBob and welcome to the forums, a fantastic bunch around here, sure hope you like it.

I know very little about Active pup wiring, I'm more of a Passive guy (though many would probably disagree), I've never seen much discussion of active pup systems here, generally because most Epi's come with passive pups, hope someone can shed some light on the subject for you.

Hi,

I just purchased a used SG with factory equiped EMG active pickups. I know this because the battery compartment is factory installed as well. Anyway, I,m hardly getting any volume when plugged into a amp, even with a brand new battery. the sound will come in and out. The volume is pretty low even when you can hear anything. Can I check an active pickup with a voltmeter? Should I replace the cheap Korean pots? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

If you are getting a signal from them, but it's very quiet, that means the preamps in the pickups are A. blown, or B. not getting any power. If it's stock wiring, the preamps won't be blown. I would take off the jack plate and check for any bad connections there (EMGs use the 'ring' contact on a stereo jack to provide power to the pickups only when the cable is plugged in (the ring contact touches the ground on the cable and completes the power circuit, turning the preamps on.))

Archived