Gibson Brands Forums

Buying Advice

Saxosim

Depending on location and availability

The Gordon Smith 'SG's are well worthy, with great playability, hand wound pickups and pro usability

Often described as the UK equivalent to Gibson

Worth an eyeball at the very least......

V

:-({|=

What about the SG classics are they worth a look, they seem to have the neck binding I like plus p90 pickups which I keep hearing rave reveiws about. They are very appealing and seem the best of both worlds in between the special and standard plus the deep cherry finish looks nice, they seem to be cheaper than the standard too at £500 - £600 used, any thoughts or advice on these as I like the look? What are the necks like are they slim?

What about the SG classics are they worth a look, they seem to have the neck binding I like plus p90 pickups which I keep hearing rave reveiws about. They are very appealing and seem the best of both worlds in between the special and standard plus the deep cherry finish looks nice, they seem to be cheaper than the standard too at £500 - £600 used, any thoughts or advice on these as I like the look? What are the necks like are they slim?

I think they are excellent.Neck is too big for me but excellent. You definitely should try the Classic if you like P90's. And seymour duncan and others has a few excellent P90 sized humbuckers should you ever want to convert. The Gibson website says the neck profile is rounded.. which I think is the big 50's baseball bat?.Here is the spec link.My link

Thanks I will add it to the test list with the standard, the neck will probably be the decider I guess but the price of the classic is also more appealing for a used purchase :)

I think they are excellent.Neck is too big for me but excellent. You definitely should try the Classic if you like P90's. And seymour duncan and others has a few excellent P90 sized humbuckers should you ever want to convert. The Gibson website says the neck profile is rounded.. which I think is the big 50's baseball bat?.Here is the spec link.My link

• 2 weeks later...

I personally do not like the SG faded guitars. I have the classic and it is a great guitar. My main beef with the faded range was I could not find one with a "quality" finish to the neck. The difference the bound neck makes is significant.

I appreciate everyone has an opinion but mine is that the high end Epis are better than the Gibson faded range. Save for a Classic or a Standard.

Archived