Gibson Brands Forums

Buying Advice

Saxosim

Hi all

I am really tempted to take the plunge and buy a Gibson SG standard at somenpoint in the hopefully near future, funding and wife allowing :)

I keep seeing bargains going on EBay but after reading on various forums about all of the Chinese fake Gibsons and Epiphones out there I am worried about accidentally buying a fake SG as I don't really know what to look for?

It has probably been discussed many times over but can anyone please advise what to look for to ensure any SG that I am interested in is real and made in the USA so that I don't buy a lemon. I would be buying second hand and could not stretch to new prices.

Thanks in advance :)

Even if you are going to buy used, go to a music store that is an authorized Gibson dealer and examine as many SG's as possible. Look at the fine details of them, like the way the binding on the neck is done, the fret markers, the pickguard shapes, headstock shape, the angle of the headstock. Even things like the knobs on the volume and tone controls and the tuners.

Mind you some things will vary from model to model - for example, the pickguard on the Standard is the larger sized one as opposed to the smaller style on the '61 reissue and the Kluson tuners vs the Modern Machine Head style or even locking tuners.

Even ask the guys in the store to point out how to tell the genuine ones, they can show you things that the chinese knockoffs often get wrong.

Also, if you can get the serial number Gibson will verify if the serial number is registered to a guitar matching that description.

Thanks I will give that a try to build up some knowledge on them and what to look out for, has anyone put together a checklist that you have come across listing the details to check? I know a similar list exists for Epi Les Pauls on another forum, it would be really useful if there was one?

I am still in 2 minds if to go straight for the Gibson or to buy an Epi SG400 first to see what I think to the style etc, I know a Gibson will be different but I could test the water first for not a lot of money, is this wise?

Even if you are going to buy used, go to a music store that is an authorized Gibson dealer and examine as many SG's as possible. Look at the fine details of them, like the way the binding on the neck is done, the fret markers, the pickguard shapes, headstock shape, the angle of the headstock. Even things like the knobs on the volume and tone controls and the tuners.

Mind you some things will vary from model to model - for example, the pickguard on the Standard is the larger sized one as opposed to the smaller style on the '61 reissue and the Kluson tuners vs the Modern Machine Head style or even locking tuners.

Even ask the guys in the store to point out how to tell the genuine ones, they can show you things that the chinese knockoffs often get wrong.

Also, if you can get the serial number Gibson will verify if the serial number is registered to a guitar matching that description.

Hi all

I am really tempted to take the plunge and buy a Gibson SG standard at somenpoint in the hopefully near future, funding and wife allowing :)

I keep seeing bargains going on EBay but after reading on various forums about all of the Chinese fake Gibsons and Epiphones out there I am worried about accidentally buying a fake SG as I don't really know what to look for?

It has probably been discussed many times over but can anyone please advise what to look for to ensure any SG that I am interested in is real and made in the USA so that I don't buy a lemon. I would be buying second hand and could not stretch to new prices.

I have a clue: Buy from a store. Really.

Good luck with it.

rct

Have you thought about the faded model? It's not so fancy looking but the minimal layers of lacquer make for a faster neck and more attack to the unplugged tone, IMO.

Alan

Hi Alan

To be honest the faded cherry is my favourite SG finish so I am thinking that is what I will save for.

Cheers :)

Hi all

There are several guys on eBay who sell gutted Gibson guitars.. ready for you to customize or put back together, and whole Gibsons, "Gibsondependable" is probably your best Gibson seller on eBay. If you just ask for serial numbers and never buy from outside the USA you won't have any problems, I have bought several guitars off eBay the last being a 1994 SG Special with the EBONY fret board. for $420...someone had tried to make it look like it was way older with old klusons with the old metal buttons and for some reason stupid speed knobs... I turned it into a beauty and one of my best beloved guitars. Again if you have no real knowledge of guitars and just a player don't buy from eBay.

The faded SG's are probably the ugliest of all, and they are not faster necks....the minimal coats on thses SG's leaves them rough if you ask me. Plus every cheap guy out there gets one. It's like all the wannabe Les Paul owners with LP studio's....why even bother at that point. Don't punk yourself to just own the name "Gibson" on a guitar. Make sure your happy and don't short change yourself. Try an ebony neck for once.. you won't believe the feel.

The faded SG's are probably the ugliest of all, and they are not faster necks....the minimal coats on thses SG's leaves them rough if you ask me. Plus every cheap guy out there gets one. It's like all the wannabe Les Paul owners with LP studio's....why even bother at that point. Don't punk yourself to just own the name "Gibson" on a guitar. Make sure your happy and don't short change yourself. Try an ebony neck for once.. you won't believe the feel.

This is the best advice in this thread right here. Just wait and save up and get the one you truly want, or you'll regret it.

Or do what I did, and find one on kijiji. Yeah its not perfect and has a couple dings, but its now my every day player..And I'm 100% satisified i didn't buy a new faded guitar over a slightly used SG standard.

This is the best advice in this thread right here. Just wait and save up and get the one you truly want, or you'll regret it.

Or do what I did, and find one on kijiji. Yeah its not perfect and has a couple dings, but its now my every day player..And I'm 100% satisified i didn't buy a new faded guitar over a slightly used SG standard.

I can't agree more. Never checked out kijiji before there's a beautiful SG standard for under $900 here for Ohio.

Thanks I will give that a try to build up some knowledge on them and what to look out for, has anyone put together a checklist that you have come across listing the details to check? I know a similar list exists for Epi Les Pauls on another forum, it would be really useful if there was one?

I am still in 2 minds if to go straight for the Gibson or to buy an Epi SG400 first to see what I think to the style etc, I know a Gibson will be different but I could test the water first for not a lot of money, is this wise?

NOOOO! Epi's suck.. they are the worst. Do not punk yourself with a weak Epiphone! Horrible necks.. there is no comparison!

Thanks all I think I will save as suggested for the standard in cherry, I was offered an immaculate SG std the other day (2001 model) in it's original hard case for £800 ($1300). Loved the guitar (look and feel was great) but i can't afford it currently plus I was advised that was a little pricey for one.

Will save anyway and see how I get on, also I don't want a lemon so think I will just steer clear of getting one on EBay just in case I get a bad one. Will stick to shops or forums like this or similar.

Thanks for the advice :)

Thanks all I think I will save as suggested for the standard in cherry, I was offered an immaculate SG std the other day (2001 model) in it's original hard case for £800 ($1300). Loved the guitar (look and feel was great) but i can't afford it currently plus I was advised that was a little pricey for one.

Will save anyway and see how I get on, also I don't want a lemon so think I will just steer clear of getting one on EBay just in case I get a bad one. Will stick to shops or forums like this or similar.

Thanks for the advice :)

Don't be too hasty to discount the faded SG, especially if that's your preferred finish. They are built to the same quality and standards as any other production Gibson. You pay less because the addition of binding and, in particular, multiple extra layers of nitro lacquer is an expensive/time consuming process. If you really love the look of the standard then you should, of course, save for it. Even then there will always be people who say "but its not a custom shop SG" and those who say "well custom shop is not the same as having a vintage SG." The bottom line is that faded models and studios are the most cost effective way to get a good quality, USA made guitar.

My advice is to play them first and then make your own mind up. If you fall in love with the look of the standard then you should save for it.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks as you say I should really play them first before I decide for sure, which model is the faded SG available in please?

Don't be too hasty to discount the faded SG, especially if that's your preferred finish. They are built to the same quality and standards as any other production Gibson. You pay less because the addition of binding and, in particular, multiple extra layers of nitro lacquer is an expensive/time consuming process. If you really love the look of the standard then you should, of course, save for it. Even then there will always be people who say "but its not a custom shop SG" and those who say "well custom shop is not the same as having a vintage SG." The bottom line is that faded models and studios are the most cost effective way to get a good quality, USA made guitar.

My advice is to play them first and then make your own mind up. If you fall in love with the look of the standard then you should save for it.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks as you say I should really play them first before I decide for sure, which model is the faded SG available in please?

There used to be only one- the SG special faded. It has dot inlays, no neck binding and only 1-2 coats of nitro lacquer as opposed to about 8 or 9.

Looking at Gibson.com it seems the melody maker SG, the classic faded, the 'special '60s tribute, the gothic morte and the Raw Power also have faded (also known as satin or worn) finishes:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA.aspx

You'll have to think about pickup choices and body composition if you want to consider any of these. If you want PAF humbuckers the special fadeds or raw powers are the way to go.

Alan

Thanks Alan I shall take a look

There used to be only one- the SG special faded. It has dot inlays, no neck binding and only 1-2 coats of nitro lacquer as opposed to about 8 or 9.

Looking at Gibson.com it seems the melody maker SG, the classic faded, the 'special '60s tribute, the gothic morte and the Raw Power also have faded (also known as satin or worn) finishes:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA.aspx

You'll have to think about pickup choices and body composition if you want to consider any of these. If you want PAF humbuckers the special fadeds or raw powers are the way to go.

Alan

You also should take into account the different neck profiles used on various SG's. The Standards I've had, a 2000 and a 2005 had huge 50's style baseball bat necks. I liked them but after playing my friends 1973 SG (variant 4, no neck binding and ebony fretboard) I find the 60's profile much better for my tastes.I ended up getting a Natural finish 60's Tribute with the 60's slim taper neck and it is great.Binding eventually degrades and cracks on many fretboards so take that into account too.And refretting bound GIBSON necks is a luthiers pain in the *** because of those weird binding nubs that they put OVER the ends of the frets. A refret in the future will cost more for the nubs to be done right.

Thanks that is something to add into the mix that I will look at, I didn't realise the necks varied so much over the years and models.

I really like the faded cherry finish on a special i have seen in photos I have seen but prefer the overall look of the standard with the inlays etc so I really don't know which I prefer, hopefully I can find a few different ones to try out, the standard I had a look at the other day was really nice but I can't afford one currently.

I am keen on keeping it simple so there is less to go wrong and I am likely to keep the guitar a long time this is appealing.

Thanks I shall visit a few shops to try different models or years of the same Model where possible

You also should take into account the different neck profiles used on various SG's. The Standards I've had, a 2000 and a 2005 had huge 50's style baseball bat necks. I liked them but after playing my friends 1973 SG (variant 4, no neck binding and ebony fretboard) I find the 60's profile much better for my tastes.I ended up getting a Natural finish 60's Tribute with the 60's slim taper neck and it is great.Binding eventually degrades and cracks on many fretboards so take that into account too.And refretting bound GIBSON necks is a luthiers pain in the *** because of those weird binding nubs that they put OVER the ends of the frets. A refret in the future will cost more for the nubs to be done right.

I wouldn't be concerned about the binding on SG's going bad. "Binding rot" is something more typically attributed to vintage Gretsch guitars (caused by the type of glue they used). Gibson binding will "yellow" over time and the lacquer may crack, but the bindings will usually stay intact. As far as the binding "nibs" that go over the fret ends there are usually options with regards to a refret: a good repair guy can carefully remove the old frets woithout breaking the nibs and reinstall the new frets back under the nibs or the nibs can be reproduced by dropping softened/melted binding material over the fret ends and then touched up, aged and blended in with lacquer. SG Standards are major "bang for the buck" in the Gibson line IMO. The "Specials", "Faded Specials", "Classic 60's" all have their fans and deservidly so. I personally preferred the 61 Reissue to the Standards for a long time because most of the Standards I had played just had neck profiles that were too fat for my very small hand....but at almost 2000.00 the 61's were just too much $$$ for me. However it seems that over the last couple of years, the necks on the Standards have been slimmed down a bit from a big round '58 style baseball bats to a much more manageable chunky "D" shape which works very well for me.

yeah I hear ya on the baseball bat necks... I have tendonitis, tendonosis and other things from landscaping for 25 years and my arm goes totally numb playing the big rounded necks after a couple songs anymore.... was heartbreaking as I also always played big Guild Jumbo acoustics and Guild jazz hollowbodies which had to be sold as my type of injuries will never fully recover and their necks were monsters, especially on the Rhode Island Guilds and 12 strings.... I had an amazing collection of big necked guitars including the two SG Standards and they all went the way of Ebay! Now I am collecting SG's from all eras with slim taper profiles which don't bother my arm and hand.

Glad to hear about the nubs being easier than I thought. I am sure I will find a 70's gem that will need a refret. I want to find this ultra rare 1973 SG Standard or Deluxe (Variant 4) my friend has. It is listed in a Gibson book, forget the title, as having only 250 made. Ebony fretboard with no binding, square block inlays, Schaller Harmonica bridge and a UNIQUE version of the 60's slim taper profile which is like none other I have ever played. SLINKY is the best way to describe this *****!!!

Are the Gibson books a good idea to read to learn more on the SGs? Does anyone make a really good book just about SGs? I looked on Amazon but could not find any dedicated books just on them like you can buy loads of for the Les Pauls?

I definitely think the Standard looks the best overall and is probably what I will save up for, I just like the inlays and binding etc. As long as I can find one with a slimish neck that would be good.

The 61 reissues so look amazing but I don't think I could realistically save for one of those so I think it will be the standard.

Cheers

there is this sg book which is outlandishly priced and I see many reviews say that it totally sucks.and it only goes thru the 70's I believe!! it is this one My link

Thanks yes the 1 star rating doesn't make it sound that appealing I am amazed nobody has done a modern book covering the models to date. There seems to be loads of Les Paul ones, I would have thought there would be a Market for a good book like this with the SG having a strong following :(

Archived