Gibson Brands Forums

New Kevin Smith Movie...Red State

ShredAstaire

Looks like ANOTHER Hollywood attempt to paint Christians as backward hatemongers who cling to their guns. Hmmm. Didn't our wonderful and non divisive president say something very similar?

I know a LOT of Christians, and none of us do any of the things that movie suggested.

Won't go see it. Won't rent it. Won't give it the time of day.

I do belive I will go play my guitar now . . .

Looks like ANOTHER Hollywood attempt to paint Christians as backward hatemongers who cling to their guns. Hmmm. Didn't our wonderful and non divisive president say something very similar?

I know a LOT of Christians, and none of us do any of the things that movie suggested.

Won't go see it. Won't rent it. Won't give it the time of day.

I do belive I will go play my guitar now . . .

LOL!! This is not a hollywood movie bud...it's independently funded and released by Kevin Smith himself....and i don't believe its trying to say all Christians are this way. (That's a HUGE leap for you to think that)

I will be seeing the movie and i will decide what I think after I see it.

I used to be a fan of Kevin Smith, and I'm curious if you've ever heard his views on religion in general, Christianity in specific? He's definitely willing to go out of his way to make Christians look bad. As evidence, Dogma . . . And now this tripe of a movie. And by the way, it's called Red State. Definitely showing his political views. Especially since Red Staters are typically described as Christian and or Conservative.

There is no overlooking the tone and message of this movie. Can you show me where he has a Christian character in a positive role?

Even though he does fund a lot of his movies himself, which I admire, doesn't Hollywood distribute? Doesn't Hollywood review? Doesn't Hollywood offer accolades, actors, support, etc.? It may not be a mainstream Hollywood venture, but it still reflects Hollywood values, as well as (primarily) Kevin Smith's.

I did love Mallrats though, back in the day. And his skewering of George Lucas was hysterical in that other movie! Clerks with the whole Death Star destruction discussion is a classic piece of comedy. It's just that I've just come to realize that I don't agree with his political/religious views and choose not to watch anymore of his movies because he has gone beyond satire into direct attack.

Looks like he has self distributed a theater tour via his production company Smodcast Pictures but is having it released on Lionsgate for Video On Demand and later for DVD.

And I am fully aware of his views. I loved Dogma..I get why Christians don't like it, but it was an entertaining movie to me. Most writer/directors inject their views in their art, no?

The religious group in this film is obviously based on fundamentalist groups like the Westboro Baptist Church (whom I hope no one defends). Also obvious to me is the hyperbole being used...no one thinks that there are groups who do things like in this movie..it's a fictional story.

I get why you don't want to watch it, but I just found your reaction to my posting the clip to be extreme. Sorry to offend you by posting the trailer...it was not my intention at all. I thought it might be an interesting movie since its Smith's first foray into horror. It's getting mediocre reviews but I will check it out for myself.

Shred, you haven't offended me. Though I don't post a lot, I am a daily reader of this forum since 2008 (love many of your posts, by the way). I am a HUGE proponent of Free Speech (I am currently a self supporting writer, am in a gigging band and was a professionally touring stand up comedian in the 1990s). All of these can not be done without Free Speech. I support and would stand with Smith to be able to make and promote and show his movie.

However the point that needs made is that I simply used my First Amendment right to passionately reveal my thoughts on the movie (not you personally).

And no, Demoon, it isn't just a movie. Is music just music? As a musician yourself, don't you put yourself out there for others to see, like or dislike. As a musician and writer I encourage all passionate responses to my work, good or bad. That's what art is about, getting someone to feel passionately about what you are doing. If you are an artist and only get the reaction of, "Meh. It was so so" then you haven't done your job.

Smith, as always, does his job well. He got a good, passionate discussion among free thinking people about his views today. And he will continue to do so in the future with other films. I just simply decided to make a comment on this movie.

That's what makes America so great!

Yep, it's a fictional story about a WBC like organization, but the title makes a sweeping generality about a specific political demographic type, which, isn't PC, but Hollyweird gets by with it any ways.

This guy is just another Michael Moore, too much money and awful full of himself.

Shred, you haven't offended me. Though I don't post a lot, I am a daily reader of this forum since 2008 (love many of your posts, by the way). I am a HUGE proponent of Free Speech (I am currently a self supporting writer, am in a gigging band and was a professionally touring stand up comedian in the 1990s). All of these can not be done without Free Speech. I support and would stand with Smith to be able to make and promote and show his movie.

However the point that needs made is that I simply used my First Amendment right to passionately reveal my thoughts on the movie (not you personally).

And no, Demoon, it isn't just a movie. Is music just music? As a musician yourself, don't you put yourself out there for others to see, like or dislike. As a musician and writer I encourage all passionate responses to my work, good or bad. That's what art is about, getting someone to feel passionately about what you are doing. If you are an artist and only get the reaction of, "Meh. It was so so" then you haven't done your job.

Smith, as always, does his job well. He got a good, passionate discussion among free thinking people about his views today. And he will continue to do so in the future with other films. I just simply decided to make a comment on this movie.

That's what makes America so great!

Ok you do have a point, but i think you won me over cause you called me a musician. [lol]

Tommy, since when did PC have anything to do with art? Movies, music...whatever...

PC, allegedly, means not saying or doing anything that would insult or otherwise disparage another person or group due to their race, ethnicity, physical impairment, gender, yada, yada, yada. PC has everything to do with art, movies, music, whatever. But in practice, PC is unequally applied. In practice, PC means you can still insult, disparage, and insult; conservative, not so dark skinned Christians, especially if they are male and American. Had someone made a movie about how a particular Hawaiian had stolen an election, the network and PC police would have been all over it. But this? "Mum" is their word. :-$

Archived