Gibson Brands Forums

Antique White with smokey stain and Pink stain

kaicho8888

DSC05725r1.jpg

DSC05719r1.jpg

Is there a way to get rid of the smokey or pink stains?

The last four months, I've noticed smokey stain becoming more pronounced by the areas where I rest my right arm, the area that rest against my ribs, and the area that sits on my lap. I've just accepted this as reaction to bare arm, dark Tees, and blue jeans. Suprisingly the neck has no stain so far. I guess it's the price to pay for the ancient method of protecting a slab of wood.

I needed a newer case, so I bought a new Gibson case with white fluff thinking it cannot stain. However, after only less than a week in new case standing upright, I noticed a pink hue to the bottom of the LP! WTF is that all about? I check the case and it's the area that has no soft padding under the fluffy cover. The bottom area looks darker and is glued directly to the case. This is the area where the pink stain is starting as you can see in the picture above.

I tried sanding, but it looks like both colors migrated through the thick white nitro. I usually store this '08 LP on my guitar stand without any problem.

Sorry to hear of your problem. This gets posted about once in a while. White and nitro - very hard to keep stain free. Anything with a dye in it is likely to get into the nitro, staining the white finish. Blue jeans, colored shirts, etc. By the time you notice you've got a stain, it's too late. The white lined case was a good idea, but these days Gibson knows better and if your white LP had a factory case it should have had a white lining, or dyed with nitro safe dye.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of older 70's Les Pauls that have had the necks nitrocellulose actually bleed onto the binding. I know this is a little bit different, but I was able to cure this by exposing the "pink areas" to sunlight. I guess it is equivalent to a quick sun bleaching. But if you try it, be careful not to let it get too hot and remember to cover the fretboard and pickups with a blanket, or something, to deter warping and potting wax from melting.

Not sure how your guitar was painted though, and that might have something to do with it, as Gibson is using different paints these days.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have an 06 Alpine white studio. It doesn't have any issues yet with colors. I pretty much keep it on a stand 24x7 though. The stand is wrapped in black cotten fabric too which has not worn off on it. I usually wipe down the arm-rest area with gibson pump polish every other time I play too.

I might try the sunning method...might even give it the "yellow" aging. [thumbup]

I kept it on the stand for years and it did not show any problems; but a few days in the new case, it started the pink staining.

Thanks

Archived