Gibson Brands Forums

5 Gigs with My New ES-339. Review.

Murph

Get outa the way. This guitar will kill anything I've ever gigged. The crowd is in awe! They think it's a (you know) and the tone, sustain, and mojo is above anything ever.

I use a Mesa Blue Angel on a flight case, and can turn into it for unlimited sustain.

Two problems to date.

1; ABR-1 Rattle. I'm working on it. I'm convinced tonight it's the wire. Period. Teflon will fix it, I'm gigging a Yaught Club this Sat., that will be kind of quiet compared to last night, and should have it worked out.

2; The freakin' volume knob for the bridge pickup was falling off last night. Literally. I used some nicorette gum, and fixed it later with teflon tape.

On the up side, it has tone for days, mojo for months, and class out the a$$.

I'm actually glad to hear the price is going up on these dudes. It's far too much guitar for the money.

If a new '08 Les Paul Standard is worth X, the Custom Shop ES-339 is worth X+.

The price makes no sense.

God Bless.

Murph.

Since it's so new and you're the original owner, are there any cooperative authorized service centers near you that would get you a new bridge? Not dealers, mind you, but bona fide repair centers (it's a different list). Or just an email to Customer Service. It happens with the ABR apparently, but remember Gibson will stand behind their products, let see if this counts as an issue they'll deal with.

Hey Murph,

Glad you're diggin' it bro! I agree on the price thing. This guitar is a freakin' STEAL for that kind of money.

I didn't play mine out this weekend (I didn't have time to restring it), but I will this coming weekend.

Rock-on!!!

On the ABR wire: you might try putting a kink in it between the saddle screws with the corner of a screwdriver -- good idea to protect the top by sliding some cardboard between the posts while you're pushing down. It's relatively soft wire and easy to do as long as you don't slip and gouge your top. An 1/8" little dip can be enough to increase the tension and stop the rattle. That worked for me, but I've heard of folks applying a dab of clear nail polish to sort of stick it to the bridge too.

On the ABR wire: you might try putting a kink in it between the saddle screws with the corner of a screwdriver -- good idea to protect the top by sliding some cardboard between the posts while you're pushing down. It's relatively soft wire and easy to do as long as you don't slip and gouge your top. An 1/8" little dip can be enough to increase the tension and stop the rattle. That worked for me' date=' but I've heard of folks applying a dab of clear nail polish to sort of stick it to the bridge too.[/quote']

Just get yourself a regular tonepros bridge (ie. the one they put on LP standards).

What is the price going to be? I agree, it is stupid cheap for what you get. I paid $1700 CDN for mine and that was a helluva bargain.

Archived