Gibson Brands Forums

Ej 200

moej45

I bought an ej200 about a month ago and then last week bought a Gibson J45. Now the Gibson is in a class by itself but i am blown away by the quality of the tone on the ej for 200. Now...when I boutght it, it would not hold tune and was a mess. After a quick professional set up it is a monster. I keep it open tuned so I use it about as much as the j 45...anyone having issues with this guitar you MUST go get it set up. You will not be sorry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The set-up, what was done? Bone Nut, Bone Saddle?... There very easy on the eye but have not had the chance to play 1. Not sure if I'd be buying looks or a good guitar.

Mine is the Vintage Sunburst spruce and maple and I had mine set up by an experienced luthier. He did the normal neck nut and bridge stuff but I had him replace the plastic nut and saddle with bone and drop the action a bit. The saddle was individualy cut for each string so that the 12th fret harmonic and the freted note were dead on. After that I had the opportunity to compare my EJ with a spruce and maple SJ and with eys closed I couldn't tell which was which. Not bad for a total price of less than $800 and that includes a Fishman under saddle pickup with preamp and sound hole controls.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is the Vintage Sunburst spruce and maple and I had mine set up by an experienced luthier. He did the normal neck nut and bridge stuff but I had him replace the plastic nut and saddle with bone and drop the action a bit. The saddle was individualy cut for each string so that the 12th fret harmonic and the freted note were dead on. After that I had the opportunity to compare my EJ with a spruce and maple SJ and with eys closed I couldn't tell which was which. Not bad for a total price of less than $800 and that includes a Fishman under saddle pickup with preamp and sound hole controls.

I had the opportunity to compare both the ej 200 and the sj 200 at L&M but my comparison is totally opposite.Sorry to say but I bought the ej 200 but it would not ever hold a candle to the sj 200.Two different leagues,plugged or unplugged the sj 200 came out on top with flying colors.Just my take on both guitars.

I had the opportunity to compare both the ej 200 and the sj 200 at L&M but my comparison is totally opposite.Sorry to say but I bought the ej 200 but it would not ever hold a candle to the sj 200.Two different leagues,plugged or unplugged the sj 200 came out on top with flying colors.Just my take on both guitars.

I have to agree, it could only be one of two things. The man has an amazing Epiphone EJ200 which with no insults intended I find hard to believe or he compared it to an absolute dog of a Gibson... which is quite possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Three factors here...

1. Yup, cudda been a lesser Gibson and a better Epi from the store; but also the pro setup, etc., play an role too on the instrument comparison.

2. Playing style, strings and such have a role in how a guitar is perceived across the room. Again, Matt Sear in the Gibson Lounge once commented that a guitar teacher friend was wowed by a student's relatively inexpensive guitar's tone - but when the teacher tried the guitar, it didn't have that same tone. We each are part of what gives a guitar tone; some say it's our left hand and with acoustics, some say it's how it's held to the body of the player.

3. The perception of the listener. What I consider excellent tone may not be what you consider excellent tone. Electric pickers always are howling about this or that guitar as though their amp, etc., has no role. If they do... the acoustic is yet more likely to be similarly considered this or that by a given person.

Ditto btw in terms of playability. E.g., I've never met a Martin neck I'm comfortable with. That doesn't mean Martin guitars ain't no good. I've never played a Fender neck I'm comfortable with. Ditto.

m

Archived