Gibson Brands Forums

Action on my EJ-160E

Kylef

The action on my EJ-160E is pretty bad. It starts off not too bad, but by the time it gets to the 12th fret and over, its quite high and rather uncomfortable.

Problem i have is the saddle is already cut quite low, so i intend on sanding off as much as i can without wasting it, but i know this isnt going to completely fix the problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution? Its not new, but is only about 6 months old.

Sounds like the neck angle is or has gone off its nominal setting for one reason or another. It may turn out to be a warranty-covered defect. I suggest you take it to an authorized Gibson service shop for evaluation. Repair-wise, it might need a neck reset, which involves removing and resetting the neck at the correct angle, but Gibson may just replace the instrument.

You've got to take a measurement at the 12th fret, low E string to top of fret. What is that distance? 3/32 of an inch? Tell us and we can tell you if it is really bad and a sign of serious trouble.

But it still will need some room for further adjustment later down the line, when the neck angle changes with age and string tension, which is common.

Maybe Taylor has the right idea.

When I got my EJ-160e from Guitar Center I got it with Horrible action on it.. I was apalled at how they had it on the shelf acctually. I took it to a shop I trust (the only reason I dont get my guitars from him is because he cant afford to buy in to the Gibson/epiphone brand) to have some setup work done to it. $45 later it was AMAZING. I can do a little bit of work and adjustment here and there by myself but there is somthing to be said about giving the instrument to a professional to have adjusted. I thought the Saddle on the guitar was WAY too tall, but aprearently I was mistaken as all that was required was a few minor truss rod adjustments over the period of a few days.

Archived