Gibson Brands Forums

remastering software

pete c

i just came across an old cd. that i recorded with my old band. i recorded it live on a marantz cd recorder. i would really like to remaster it somehow to make it sound better. kind of even out the sound

thanks...

Guest farnsbarns

Technically you cannot remaster unless you have the master. Since you don't I guess you want to adjust the eq a little, pretty much any audio grabber will allow you to do that.

now when you say master. does that mean a cd with individual tracks for each instrument. this cd was recorded live, then the recorder did something to make the cd playable on any cd player. i guess what i was to do is enhance certain elements, like lead lines, bass. and fade the drums a little.

but it sounds like im s.o.l. for the most part. ill play around with the eq in windows media and see what happens.

now when you say master. does that mean a cd with individual tracks for each instrument. this cd was recorded live, then the recorder did something to make the cd playable on any cd player. i guess what i was to do is enhance certain elements, like lead lines, bass. and fade the drums a little.

but it sounds like im s.o.l. for the most part. ill play around with the eq in windows media and see what happens.

your best bet would be to play with EQ, and maybe some normalizing/compression. the challenge is, as you've guessed, you have a "flat" recording, or essentially a stereo master already. the best work with mastering is to be able to play with discrete tracks on a multitrack recording. changing a frequency on a mixed recording affects all the instruments across the board, where with a multitrack your control would be more granular/isolated (i.e. boost the bass and kick, but leave the guitar alone, etc.)

you may be able to breathe some life in with a good compressor, but i don't know what you'll find for free.

good luck in your quest! :)

Don

Archived