Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup replacement advice

Safesurfer

OK, well I'm going to change out the stock p100 out of my Les Paul jr 57 reissue and I just want a little advice.

I am replacing it with a bare knuckle p90 which has a single conductor wire. Now, I know where to solder the wire to connect to the volume pot...however I believe I have to solder the shield wire to the casing of the volume pot also...is this right??

Also, is this all that needs to be done?? It seems incredible simple

Thanks guys

SLG

The p-100 that was there should have been wired the same way.

you got it though.

There are 2 black wires. One is soldered to the top of the volume pot. The other is split with one end soldered to the volume pot and the other soldered in the same place as the other black one (on top)

Some pickups have a separate wire for the ground, effectively adding an extra wire into the equation, some use the shielding for ground, some use both. The ones with the separate ground wire should have that wire and the shielding combined into one connection to the back of the pot, all grounds should go to the back of the pot.

There are 2 black wires. One is soldered to the top of the volume pot. The other is split with one end soldered to the volume pot and the other soldered in the same place as the other black one (on top)

Can you post pics, it would be sooo much easier ???

Success!! Thanks for your help guys

Got it done this morning. Bit hairy cos i've never really soldered before and only had a small area in which to work but 'jobs a good un'

Grats, glad it worked out for you.

Archived