Gibson Brands Forums

String Action

pschaafs

I looked up Gibson's recommended string height somewhere, and they say from 5/64" on the low end to 7/64" on the other side. I have also seen recommendations by string, from .100" down to .075". I am curious how folks here prefer to set their guitars up relative to this standard? Most of mine are about that height, but the one I just received is much higher.

I looked up Gibson's recommended string height somewhere, and they say from 5/64" on the low end to 7/64" on the other side. I have also seen recommendations by string, from .100" down to .075". I am curious how folks here prefer to set their guitars up relative to this standard? Most of mine are about that height, but the one I just received is much higher.

I wouldn't worry if it is higher than advertised... this is good. Too high is good... too low is bad. You have enough saddle to get it down to where you want it. Take it to a guitar tech and have him adjust it to the action you prefer.

I generally like mine higher. Makes the guitar louder (I can always just play softer if I need to lower the volume), plus it enables me to dig in more with my finger pickin. Also, seems to give me a little more height on the fretboard to do more effective hammer-ons/pull-offs. Just my preference.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived