Gibson Brands Forums

Two ES-335 questions

PluueeR

I both own a cherry red and a vintage sunburst ES-335 Dot from the early nineties. And I've got two questions about these type of guitars:

1. What's with the difference in pickguard on these guitars. I know there is the long version and the short version. But I noticed that on my guitars the white in the pickguard is thinner (less pronounced) than on the earlier models (and today's models too). Here are two pictures to illustrate what I mean:

1991 Gibson ES-335

1960 Gibson ES-335

Is there a place where I can order the pickguard with the thicker white? I really prefer them over the nineties ones.

2. I'm thinking of installing a Bigbsy on one of my ES-335's. What do you think? I noticed that a lot of ES-335's with Bigbsy's have a "Custom Made" plate on the spot where normally the stop bar is located. Are the holes really there? Under the plate? In that case (if I can get my hands on such a plate) it will be true to the original one, right?

I both own a cherry red and a vintage sunburst ES-335 Dot from the early nineties. And I've got two questions about these type of guitars:

1. What's with the difference in pickguard on these guitars. I know there is the long version and the short version. But I noticed that on my guitars the white in the pickguard is thinner (less pronounced) than on the earlier models (and today's models too). Here are two pictures to illustrate what I mean:

1991 Gibson ES-335

1960 Gibson ES-335

Is there a place where I can order the pickguard with the thicker white? I really prefer them over the nineties ones.

2. I'm thinking of installing a Bigbsy on one of my ES-335's. What do you think? I noticed that a lot of ES-335's with Bigbsy's have a "Custom Made" plate on the spot where normally the stop bar is located. Are the holes really there? Under the plate? In that case (if I can get my hands on such a plate) it will be true to the original one, right?

To gain a better understanding of the historical differences in the ES 335, you should visit es-335.org. This is Charlie Gelber's website and blog on the history of the ES 335. While his interest is in true vintage instruments, a lot of the details of the modern ES 335--and ones from the 90's are considered "modern" instruments-- are derived from certain historical models. You can, for example, find pickguard details and the history of the "custom made" plaque covering the stud holes in some Bigsby models. Take the time to read it all, and your eyes will be opened to this marvelous instrument.

I have two ES-335's: a Nashville '59 Historic, and a 1968 ES 335-12. They are totally different from each other, but each is a great guitar.

• 1 month later...

1991 Gibson ES-335

1960 Gibson ES-335

Try here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/5-ply_Gibson-style_Pickguard_Material.html

..One issue to consider WEIGHT! The bigsby adds a lot on to the weight of a guitar. Some 335's are heavier than others. I personally would only add one to a light example...

[unsure]

..One issue to consider WEIGHT! The bigsby adds a lot on to the weight of a guitar. Some 335's are heavier than others. I personally would only add one to a light example...

[unsure]

Good point. It's a question of both weight and balance. The weight will increase, and the balance point will shift more towards the tailpiece.

Archived