Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Pickup Spacing?

PJ

I know that Epi humbuckers are so-called "standard" spaced, but can anyone tell me what the neck and bridge pickup pole spacing (or spread) is for these pickups? Greatly appreciated!

PJ,

With the added pickup covers that you have posted, I'm not quite sure what you want to know.

If you want to know the pole spacing on an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and do not have one near by to measure then I believe they are pretty close to:

650R (neck).... 1-31/32"

750T (bridge).. 2-1/32"

There are some limited edition studios out with Epi 57 and 57 hot ch.

If I recall correctly the measurements are the same.

Many Gibson pickups (not all) run around 1-15/16" bridge and neck.

Many aftermarket standard humbucker pickups run around 2" to 2-1/16".

Please explain as I am probably missing something and being my normal confused self.

Willy

Someone asked me if the spacing on Epiphone Les Paul Humbuckers was the same as Seymour Duncan uses for his PAFs. Without the drawings for both, I really couldn't say. I know they're both "standard" humbuckers, but what one mfg does compared to another with dimensions is a mystery to me. I'll go with the dimensions you gave me. That's the best I have to go on. And, I appreciate the repy. Seriously. Thank you again.

I know that Epi humbuckers are so-called "standard" spaced, but can anyone tell me what the neck and bridge pickup pole spacing (or spread) is for these pickups? Greatly appreciated!

The numbers I most often see are 50mm Neck, and 52mm Bridge. The pole spacing is supposed to be close to the same distance as the E to E spacing.

The E to E spacing should be the center-to-center dimension of the outer strings (top/bottom, high/low). That means that the 52mm spacing represents where the centers of those outer are (not measuring from the outside surfaces, but the center lines).

I dunno about all Epiphone models, but a common bridge E to E string spacing is 52mm. Since the strings get closer to each other near the neck, they're often spaced at 50mm over the neck pickup.

If looking at the measurement of the outsides of the strings from E to E, the measurement will be over the 50 or 52mm because the sizes of the strings will add to the measurement, so the measurement of heavy gage strings would appear to be greater than light gage strings, even though both measurements may have been taken on the same guitar.. so the accurate measurement is the centerlines of the E to E strings.

With the strings removed, the measurement from the centers of the outer V notches on a common bridge will also represent the E to E spacing for the bridge pickup pole spacing.

Measuring the poles of the pickups is the same as string measurements.. from the centers of the outer poles, not from the outside of the first to the outside of the last.

BTW, 1 inch is equal to 25.4mm.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill. That seems logical. I really wasn't sure if an Epiphone PAF is the same as a Gibson PAF and the same as a Duncan. My guess would be there would be some variation between vendors. But, the 50 & 52mm sound like numbers I've heard before. I appreciate the thorough response. It's nice to know folks are willing to help with the tough questions! Thank you again. -PJ

Archived