Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra lll

aLLah

Yeah, I suppose, but wouldn't it make more sense to buy something maybe a little less expensive to learn on, THEN get the Les Paul? Seems like a lot of money if you don't "click" with guitar, and it winds up stuffed in the closet or under the bed. But if you're dead-set on the Ultra, by all means, they're GREAT guitars.

Judging out of owning an Ultra II

it seems to be a great guitar - not only for beginners,

but why not get a good guitar from the beginning

and welcome here !

I agree with Pete on this. The first few moths of learning to play guitar can be tough. Having to deal with a bad guitar that has lousy action, won't stay in tune or intonate properly is probably the reason for more people giving up on it than anything else.

A good guitar will make things somewhat easier, and any of the Epiphone set-neck Les Pauls would fit the bill, aLLah ... from the Studio modles on up. The Ultra series are all great guitars. With the Ultra III, you will be paying more (quite a bit!) for some extra features that won't necessarily help you during the initial learning process, but you will appreciate more as you get better at playing.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Jim

I think I'm on the same page with matiac on this one. As he alluded to in his post, that's quite a bit of money if it's your first guitar. There are plenty of good quality guitars that are FAR less expensive than an Ultra 3. You might want to make sure you're going to stick with playing first before investing in one of those. When I was just learning to play guitar I doubt I would have even really noticed, or appreciated, the upgrades that a higher end guitar has from an "entry level" guitar. I learned to play on a POS guitar so that's just my opinion. Okay, that being said, everyone's different and it's all up to you in the end so if the Ultra 3 is what you really want, then go for it!

Archived