Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Healey and Eric Clapton

Duende

I found this and for once; many of the youtube comments were actually very interesting (rather than endless bickering). Several of the guys suggested Eric Clapton steps up a bit when pushed and I think I have to agree with that. I have heard him sometimes and he can be so smooth, that he almost rests on his laurels - yet, when he has another guy like Jeff or Buddy Guy with him, he reminds everyone what all the fuss was about him in the first place! Eric's playing in the Blues Breakers and at the Albert Hall with Buddy Guy et al was my favourite Clapton.

Thanks for posting that, Matt. Enjoyed it.

Jeff Healy is sadly missed. I agree that the better his foil the better EC plays.

I find it hard to pick a favourite period for ol' Slowhand. They have all (mostly) been very interesting in their own way. For me his time with Derek and the Dominos measures favourably with the 'Beano'.

On which point; I know there's a lot of folk here think his best blues period was with the Bluesbreakers but his playing on the 1994 album 'From The Cradle' is, imho, much more accomplished in a great many ways. If that album had come out in '65 we'd be hailing it as his benchmark. Just a thought.

P.

One thing I've noticed about EC is he always defers to whomever he's playing with. Whether it's BB King or John Mayer he always lets the other musician shine.

Pretty rare in this day and age of self promoting ego maniac musicians. I think this is why he is so loved and respected by other guitarist.

I remember watching a video of another modern blues player (with loud effects overdriven LP) on stage with an old blues legend (guitar straight to his amp). The younger guy looked like he was in a competition trying to blow the oldtimer off the stage and continually played over the lead lines of the elder musician. Sad really.

I am always interested by the people from very diverse genres that tip their hat to Clapton; From George Benson to Eddie Van Halen, they all recognise not just how much heart he puts into his music, but also hoe stylish he is. Like Cookie says too, he really lets the music come first and foremost, before his own ego.

Matt

One thing I've noticed about EC is he always defers to whomever he's playing with. Whether it's BB King or John Mayer he always lets the other musician shine.

Pretty rare in this day and age of self promoting ego maniac musicians. I think this is why he is so loved and respected by other guitarist.

I remember watching a video of another modern blues player (with loud effects overdriven LP) on stage with an old blues legend (guitar straight to his amp). The younger guy looked like he was in a competition trying to blow the oldtimer off the stage and continually played over the lead lines of the elder musician. Sad really.

I know just the clip you're talking about

He seems to be having fun with Beck here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZBeerUD-zc

A very interesting topic indeed

IMO Eric has influenced countless guitarists since the 60's....riding the 'invasion' with consumate style and musicality

Personally the synergism of Cream was a high point

The meld of creative drumming, imaginative bass, Eric's guitar and two very fine vocal talents

Was at the time almost Beatlesque in it's charisma

IMO Jack 'n Ginger took Eric up to a higher level than would otherwise have been possible.....

V

:-({|=

A very interesting topic indeed

IMO Eric has influenced countless guitarists since the 60's....riding the 'invasion' with consumate style and musicality

Personally the synergism of Cream was a high point

The meld of creative drumming, imaginative bass, Eric's guitar and two very fine vocal talents

Was at the time almost Beatlesque in it's charisma

IMO Jack 'n Ginger took Eric up to a higher level than would otherwise have been possible.....

V

:-({|=

I love the Beano album and his work with Cream but my favorite EC period is Derek and the Dominos.

So much passion in one album.

Archived