Gibson Brands Forums

Another one for Epi-Wiki

eggs

Hungry: Heel... Me spot first!!!

Rob: So is the 1969 ET299M thing all total BS???

Never heard of it...and a Google search turns up ziltch. I found a couple site that mention it in the google title, but nothing on the actual sites. One site had a tiny little pic of a 285N.

Matsumoku did make some oddball guitars that dont show up anywhere, like that one that showed up here a couple weeks ago. We all thought it was a fake or something, but Duane verified it for us. So i suppose it is entirey possible that a 299M exists, but I cant find anything on it and its not in any catalogues that I've seen.

ET-290 (bolt)

300px-Et290.jpg

ET-290N (set)

300px-Et290N.jpg

ET-285 (bolt)

300px-Et285-2.jpg

ET-285N (n-thru)

300px-Et285N.jpg

Ya reckon I could drop some 'bucks' into that baby???

Perhaps tapped BL's like RobR did with his LP bass???

Sure. As long as you find something to fit the cavities or dont mind a little modding. I'm not sure what size the cavities are, but bass pickups seem to come in a types of weird sizes.

I found this last night.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item25676c4a86

It claims to be a 299M, but its a 285N.

AFAIK, Epiphone was still producing guitars in the U.S. in 1969. Japanese production didnt start until 1970 and the 285N & 290N's werent until 1975. The only way there could be a 1969 ET-299M is if it was a prototype. The guy selling the supposed 299M on ebay claims that it is a "sam" model (I dont know what that means) and that Adam Clayton (U2) used that guitar. Unlikely. I think that the 299M is a fanatasy guitar and it doesnt actually exist. Even more possible is that the 299M designation was an Aria or Matsumoku number from a different, but similar, model...and the 1969 model year for this bass is just misinformation. Like I said in a couple of other threads: people want their Epiphones to be more valuable and rare than they actually are. Although, for a bird that is supposedly as rare as a "299M", its only got four bids at $255 USD right now. That should tell you something.

I was out at US$555.02... & it went for US$600.00 neat...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160648940166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Too much for the additional mods (BL Bucks + Hipshot Bridge) I was considering [thumbdn]

Note: There is quite a lot of fora flotsom about a ET288M bass... Ever heard of that one???

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/neck-through-epiphone-newport-embassy-coronet-596452/

Cheers,

Looks like a 285N to me. Dont you think its odd that you've come across a "299M" and a "288M" that are identical in every way to the 285N? It seems more likely that they are all 285Ns and people either make up these other model numbers or they got bad info from the internet or someone at a guitar store. I'll keep my eyes open for proof of these other models, but unless there is some obvious difference, they are all 285Ns.

The seller of this particular bass actually conceded that he 'made up' the ET299M designation... but there is broad chat about a 60's ET288M out there... however, agreed, I cant see any differences to the ET285Ns [confused]

HA! I knew it! I'll look around the Googles for a 288, but I havent come across that model number in my searches for other ET guitars yet. Usually stuff like that pops up while looking for other things. I get sidetracked like nobody's business because of the the different models I find when looking for other models.

It is relisted without a whole lot of description. You don't suppose he decided it was a little more prosaic than he thought it was at first, do you?

No no no... whilst this shows as a 'relist' by the same seller... it's actually a completely different bass... which makes sense from the message I received from him below:

Dear eggmuffins,

I'm not really sure what the model is that was a guess, I picked up two of these at an estate sale in Chicago...just can't afford to keep them both.The neck is straight on this one with no buzzing,electronics are fine.They sound alot like a Gibson Eb series bass to me...I put new Lakland stainless steel strings on mine and it brightened it up but it still has that humbucker thudd on the E string kinda like a kick in the chest

- joel228

& PS: If I this undersatnd correctly, the PUPS are NOT humbuckers?

& PS: If I this undersatnd correctly, the PUPS are NOT humbuckers?

The pics of the 285N look to be humbuckers. I have it wrong in the wiki. This is another area that needs to be detailed yet. The early 285s had single coil pickups in them. At some point they changed over to what appear to be humbuckers. Of course, they could always be double-coil pickups with staple poles as well, Not really sure, and I dont know what year the switch was made and if this applies to the 285Ns

If going to say that my info was a copy/paste from the 285. Still working on this.

The pics of the 285N look to be humbuckers. I have it wrong in the wiki. This is another area that needs to be detailed yet. The early 285s had single coil pickups in them. At some point they changed over to what appear to be humbuckers. Of course, they could always be double-coil pickups with staple poles as well, Not really sure, and I dont know what year the switch was made and if this applies to the 285Ns

If going to say that my info was a copy/paste from the 285. Still working on this.

The second one, which was actually in way better condition sold, for US$353 &, FWIW, I was / am still trying to extract some info from the seller re the pups to toss into our 'knowledge swamp'.

The second one, which was actually in way better condition sold, for US$353 &, FWIW, I was / am still trying to extract some info from the seller re the pups to toss into our 'knowledge swamp'.

That seems like a pretty good deal for that bass. Thats a good price for any neck-through bass, and those 285Ns are really nice. Cool about the PUPs. I hope he responds. Knowldge is always appreciated.[thumbup]

That seems like a pretty good deal for that bass. Thats a good price for any neck-through bass, and those 285Ns are really nice. Cool about the PUPs. I hope he responds. Knowldge is always appreciated.[thumbup]

Yep... it was very hard to let that pass... but I think I have determined to hold out for a Rivoli...

somewhere, somehow, oneday :-({|=

Archived