Gibson Brands Forums

big trouble with my LP R6

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

Gave my R6 a good clean today and I noticed the nitro is cracked all the way along the neck binding on the bass side, most of the way along the treble side and all the way around the cutaway. The cutaway is the worst with a series of sideways cracks, tears really.

The whole thing is clearly on the move and I'm very concerned. I spoke to the shop where I bought it and they said I should take it to the authorized repairer where I took it when the pots gave out at 2 weeks old. This is a 3-4 hour round trip but ho hum. So I called them but they are closed for nearly a month. The next nearest is hundreds of miles away. What do I do now, I'm worried the neck will come off or something and I'll be told "necks don't just come off, you must have dropped it" so I'm scared to play it. It has never been out of my house and it has never had so much as a tap.

Oh Sh!t, here we go again.

Doesn't sound good at all. Is it safe to assume the cracks aren't just 'checking'?

I'd like to see some snaps of the affected areas; particularly the cutaway. There's a guitar repairer/amp builder with premises just off the Crystal Palace Triangle in Upper Norwood - both flight and I have used him with good results - and he might be able to advise you. Let me know if you want his details.

P.

Two things:

1.) Necks really don't just come off. You'll know if it is anything more than finish cracks. It won't tune, it'll get all wobbly sounding, won't intonate, stuff like that. If you aren't having major tuning and intonation problems, yer neck is fine.

b.) It's the paint. If it's the paint, I'll save you the trip to the warranty joint: They don't do finish flaws. Period. This means you. The guitar leaves them, you have it, if nitro not fully cured, which is a distinct possibility always, changes in temperature will most definitely crack it. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

3.) Keep playing it, keep loving it, there isn't anything wrong with it. These things happen in good old fashioned analog all tube old skewl sh1t bro.

rct

Hmmm..........

It's hard to tell from the snap what, exactly, is going on there. It could be that the finish is lifting from the top but could it just be checking?

If it IS just checking then I've been told there's not a lot you can do to stop it once it starts. The plus side is it makes no difference to the playing.

If, OTOH, it looks like the neck is beginning to move then I'd suggest you get it looked at by someone who knows their stuff ASAP....

Just for the sake of comparison; when I bought my R0 seven years ago it was unmarked but this is what it looks like today (well, last week at any rate)...

lo-resIMG_1777.jpg

lo-resIMG_1779.jpg

P.

Nice Pix Pip. Some hate that, some don't mind. After this guy gets his issues as resolved as he can, use them pix for a poll, like, Checking: Hate, Love, Don't Mind, Don't Care. Something like that.

rct

Nice Pix Pip. Some hate that, some don't mind. After this guy gets his issues as resolved as he can, use them pix for a poll, like, Checking: Hate, Love, Don't Mind, Don't Care. Something like that.

rct

Good Idea, rct. I'll try to get a few different parts showing, say, three different bits plus the back and neck. The checking on those last two areas is more difficult to capture for some reason.

The checking is only very noticeable under certain lighting situations. Most of the time you don't notice the cracks unless you look for them. I quite like it. Which is just as well, really!....sort of gives it a unique 'fingerprint'.

P.

Archived