Gibson Brands Forums

What year is this Sheraton?

xkgb84

Hey everyone, first post here...looking for some help

I'm in the market for my first semi hollow body and someone off craigslist shot me this offer...

"1983 epiphone Sheraton with the original hsc this is not a Sheraton 2 it is the mij model that was made from 1978 to 1983"

Pics are attached...I did a little research and the ones in 1983 looked a tad different...someone let me know if this guy is trying to fool me..haha

thanks!

Keith

post-35901-049897500 1316101443_thumb.jpg

post-35901-004639700 1316101489_thumb.jpg

From looking at the truss rod cover, pickguard emblem and control knobs, I'd say it is a 1988-1989....maybe a 1990 or a tad later because of the "Gibson" truss cover...assuming those are all original parts.

Thanks...hes asking for 400...good deal?

Not sure. Pricing isnt my forté.

Also, the older, Matsumoku, Japan Sheratons had a scripted logo on the headstock. Yours is definately Korean. From 1986-1988 they said "Epiphone By Gibson" on the headstock. That puts yours from 1989-the early 1990's. By the look of the pickguard emblem, your looks to be a transitional model when they were runnning out the old parts before they started putting the bigger emblems on them . So I put it between 1989-1991. Being a Korean model, you should be able to get the year from the serial number.

Not sure. Pricing isnt my forté.

Also, the older, Matsumoku, Japan Sheratons had a scripted logo on the headstock. Yours is definately Korean. From 1986-1988 they said "Epiphone By Gibson" on the headstock. That puts yours from 1989-the early 1990's. By the look of the pickguard emblem, your looks to be a transitional model when they were runnning out the old parts before they started putting the bigger emblems on them . So I put it between 1989-1991. Being a Korean model, you should be able to get the year from the serial number.

Awesome, I really appreciate it. I asked for the serial number from the seller..then its time to do some more digging.

Thanks

Brian, Is that second headstock pic to the blonde Sheraton? If it is, are you SURE thats an early 80's guitar? Gibson on the TRC didnt start until the early 90's. Also, in the early 80's, they were still being made in Japan and had gold reflector knobs, an "E" on the TRC (or just blank) and the scripted logo.

Archived