Gibson Brands Forums

Gary Moore Les Paul BFG

RUSHian

I've been looking at taking the jump from Epiphone to Gibson (I've had several Gibsons in the past). The Gary Moore BFG Les Paul caught my eye. I seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for, and the price isn't too far out there. I think the Gator is basically the same guitar (but GREEN).

Does anyone here own one (or the Gator BFG)?

How is it?

Thanks!

I own a Gary Moore BFG.

It has a nice rosewood board, you know there’s no fret markers except for the side markers. Mine’s a 2009 and the back shows quite a bit of wood grain, not like later models I’ve seen. The P90 sounds good, the Buckbuster III is a little bright/thin, should be a 57 classic, imo. The orange, red, yellow sunburst finish is kind of terrible, what were they thinking? I think they changed the finish from sunburst to the current lemmon -burst (less red, more orange). I might prefer a different color but that’s all that was available when I purchased my BFG. The bridge pup has a pickup tilt issue, tilting it level to the strings changes the sound - for the better, have to fix that. The Gibson 50’s neck is what it is, chunky baseball bat type. The set-up as-received was great. The frets are not too big (like a SG 61 RI?) or small, good feeling.

Yes, buy a Gator BFG with a nice even dark rosewood fret-board,

It’s a “Gibson” and a unique guitar, imo, not flashy.

It will fill a Les Paul slot in your collection.

It’s really a fine guitar and one to keep.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise. The Gator though is so...GREEN. The Black BFG has the trem, but I'm not a lover of black guitars. I'm still desciding, but leaning to the Gary Moore BFG Looks and sounds nice from what I've seen on Youtube, plus it comes with a case.

Archived