Gibson Brands Forums

The Bird was humming

E-minor7

Went to my friends bar tonite and listened to some folk-acts. A young woman among the performers had a Hummingbird TV for sale and I saw my cut to sneak behind and try it in the back-room. "Just play away", she kindly said and I did. Wanted to compare it to my own, which is slowly breaking in and had a positive experience. This 2010 Bird had old '11 strings, but sounded very good. A tooth freer than mine and with slightly deeper projection. By mistake I had no pick with me, but the generous host gave me a Dunlop. Guess I jived away alone for 10 minutes, , , only to get back 3 times during the 90 minutes up till closing time to re-check my first impression.

After coming home, first thing I did was to grab my own. Thunder, velvet and lightning – it received me with open arms, , , as if it knew I had been out flirting and wanted to keep me where I am. What a sweet – allow me to say honey-glazed embrace. Uuuhhh, , , so no - I'm not goin' to exchange it with a younger sister. Intend to stick to plan A and see how it continues to open up. 6-8-10-12 months – it'll be a joy.

Just a little tale from real life on an indian-summer evening here in Monday-town. Think I'll connect it to a question that came to me the other day :

The Hummingbird has been through so many phases and variations over the last 51 years. The early light-weighters – the heavier second step – the overbuilt dark age of N – the rebirth from 84/86 and forth – the different contemporaries, Anniversary, Standard, TrueVintage, Anniversary again.

Which one would you point out as the quintessential version ?

Let's say an enthusiastic newbie ask the Board where to seek his life-size Bird. What would we say to this searcher ?

Great to hear Em7. The best birds Ive played are the early to mid 60's which I finally came across a couple and the current TV.

But to me they are quite different. The vintage Birds have a more woody, dryer tone and slightly crsiper trebles. The modern TV has that honey glaze that you mentioned, and what I remember most about it. Its a softer tone, richer but not as woody as the the vintage Birds.

Which is better, both are brilliant, but if I had to make a decision between I would take teh modern HB TV for the wider nit width and in particular for the honey glaze which is just mesmerising.

. The best birds Ive played are the early to mid 60's which I finally came across a couple and the current TV.

So you have come around to try some early 60ties square shouldered - TOP. Remember we talked about this half a year ago and how you said you had a hard time finding any in Prague. Things have changed, , , if you have the time let us hear a little about those ole light-braces you met.

Actually I found the mid 60's Bird to be quite similar to my 69' CW except the Bird definitely was a little warmer and had more of a honey blaze. My CW has more of a punch, stronger, more articulate bottom and is a bit more woodier. The CW has benefitted in that it has really been a players guitar and the edges have been softened quite a bit, so in the end there wasnt that much of a difference.

The biggest difference was comparing the 60's Gibbys and a new HB TV. At this point in time given the difference was probably why I was so attracted to the HB, as its different, and the amount of honey glaze, especially with the sweet trebles was very appealing.

So you have come around to try some early 60ties square shouldered - TOP. Remember we talked about this half a year ago and how you said you had a hard time finding any in Prague. Things have changed, , , if you have the time let us hear a little about those ole light-braces you met.

I've been finding myself playing 'different' when I've got my 'Bird out....it just seems to lend itself to fingerpicking and more mellow stuff.

I Can't explain it.... just sort of speaks to me....

(and I'm NOT a great fingerpicker!.... so I like playing it to improve)

Archived