Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton NGD - Maybe... Help me!

surfgreen

Epi is still producing in Korea

I stand corrected... A few models are still produced in Korea! I don't think they planned to though, when they built that big shiny new factory at Qingdao. Demand must have been too high [woot]

Anyways, certainly all the new Sheratons I've seen in recent years have been MIC. So I would definitely check the S/N and not just take the sellers word for it... If MIK is important to you?

The guitar itself should be the greatest selling point...

regardless where it's made

That's a nice thought, but it's simply not true! There are differences in quality, even between different factories in the same country! Many flaws might not even be apparent at first!

Sure, you have to test and "rate" the guitar for yourself, but that's just stating the obvious for anyone who's ever owned and played guitars, right? I'm sure surfgreen knows what he's doing there. I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask about the reputations of the different countries of manufacture 'cos you're not going to find out all the weaknesses in one sitting at a pawn shop! We've all been pretty well singing the praises of the korean Epi's. But nobody has really held up a torch for the chinese made, have they? I personally haven't heard anything good about them... I've heard guitar shops recommend semi's from Ibanez or Vintage instead! I've heard of bridges coming loose from chinese made acoustics (not something you're going to see while testing the guitar)! I see people paying more for used MiKs than for new MiCs! And, even if you don't want to hear it, the possible resale value is something that most of us with limited finances at least have to consider!

I may seem a little unfair in my critic of chinese Epis, but I'm only giving an opinion as I've heard and experienced it.

Same same Bill... I ain't messing with 'Tupelo Honey'... 'cause she BAD (& that's actually what her tramp stamp means) [wink]

PS: How come you joined in 2009 & this is your first post [confused]... That, Sir, is some dedicated 'lurking' [biggrin]

Too busy playing that Sheraton to post much!

Bill

That's a nice thought, but it's simply not true! There are differences in quality, even between different factories in the same country! Many flaws might not even be apparent at first!

Sure, you have to test and "rate" the guitar for yourself, but that's just stating the obvious for anyone who's ever owned and played guitars, right? I'm sure surfgreen knows what he's doing there. I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask about the reputations of the different countries of manufacture 'cos you're not going to find out all the weaknesses in one sitting at a pawn shop! We've all been pretty well singing the praises of the korean Epi's. But nobody has really held up a torch for the chinese made, have they? I personally haven't heard anything good about them... I've heard guitar shops recommend semi's from Ibanez or Vintage instead! I've heard of bridges coming loose from chinese made acoustics (not something you're going to see while testing the guitar)! I see people paying more for used MiKs than for new MiCs! And, even if you don't want to hear it, the possible resale value is something that most of us with limited finances at least have to consider!

I may seem a little unfair in my critic of chinese Epis, but I'm only giving an opinion as I've heard and experienced it.

double-facepalm.jpg?w=557&h=367

double-facepalm.jpg?w=557&h=367

@ Supersonic101,

I knew there was a reason why I don't usually waste my time on Interet-forums... But hey, I'll go for it! I might even want to stay here!!! [biggrin]

I'm not much of a Star Trek fan myself, have you got anything "constructive" to add?

So again, thanks for the help everyone. I am going to pass on this axe. Its in Ventura, CA of anyone wants to get after it! Its priced too close to new ones also MIK. I will state for the record that I play Strat's from Mexico, Corona, as well as the Custom Shop, and to be 100% honest, each of them are fine instruments i'd be proud to play anywhere. I have no doubt that most Gibson/Epiphone gear falls in the same boat. I asked the question initlally because of tales for example like comparing early 90's USA Strats to current production.. where there has been a HUGE improvement in the fit and finish out of the factory.

Anyways, as they say... Its all good!

So again, thanks for the help everyone. I am going to pass on this axe. Its in Ventura, CA of anyone wants to get after it! Its priced too close to new ones also MIK. I will state for the record that I play Strat's from Mexico, Corona, as well as the Custom Shop, and to be 100% honest, each of them are fine instruments i'd be proud to play anywhere. I have no doubt that most Gibson/Epiphone gear falls in the same boat. I asked the question initlally because of tales for example like comparing early 90's USA Strats to current production.. where there has been a HUGE improvement in the fit and finish out of the factory.

Anyways, as they say... Its all good!

ya i saw a Epi Sherry VS on GC's used site and was going to buy it but after i got to thinking about using a $100 off $500 coupon at that time with GC i got a new one for $50 more. So i went with that deal instead.

SG Jester has a point. Several points. (And welcome, BTW.) Even if country of origin "shouldn't" be an influencing factor, it often is.

And there are QC stories which may or may not prove to be statistically insignificant as time goes on. But, remember just recently we have had someone here return their new MIC because the truss rod broke when they tried to adjust it.

It may take a little while for the truth of Epi's commitment to build standards and quality control in the new MIC gits to become apparent. And, bear in mind that the MIK's aren't perfect. Epi's (apart from the obvious) are built to a price point, which implies compromises. Which the guitar-buying public should be aware of and accept to a point. If it comes to instruments that break though, that's a different issue.

And could we give the new guy a break to tell us what he thinks? We are legendary for our hospitable welcome, y'know.

Paul & SGJ do have valid points...

No problem discussing possible variances between production plants &, indeed, flagging any identified problems as they arise...

In fact, that's exactly some of the stuff I come here for, & I find it incredibly interesting =D>...

What gets up my nose, & I am pretty sure where my bud Supersonic101 was coming from also, is that we DO have a nasty habit of drifting into geet snobbery around here on occasions :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents worth [thumbup] !

PS: Apologies SGJ... Welcome to the Madhouse... & a corrective +1 to ya for hangin' tough [biggrin]

No worries [smile]

And thanks, Paul and Stuart, for the welcome.

I'm no guitar snob (although I am a bit of a traditionalist), and it certainly wasn't my intention to generalize and badmouth chinese Epi's. I was just trying to help someone out by sharing my positive experiences with an MiK Sheraton [thumbup]

IMO buying a guitar is a bit like buying a car... You can test drive all you like – but if that thing has hidden issues, you're gonna find out just two days after the warranty runs out! [cursing]

All the more reason to inform yourself about that particular model beforehand. And that's what I find positive about forums like this.

Apologies to surfgreen for almost turning his post into a battlefield 8-[

Mat

P.S. To be honest, I find these subjects incredibly interesting as well... Are there any posts that are a bit more appropriate for this sort of discussion?

Archived