Gibson Brands Forums

Now I'm Picking on the Marshall Tucker Band...LOL!!

tommyb

Fire on the Mountain

I've always been a Marshall Tucker fan and this song especially. I used every instrument I own for this one. The acoustic/acoustic electric work is an Epi Masterbilt DR-500MCE, electric guitars are the Epi Les Paul 1960 tribute and the stuff with the trem is an Agile AL3100/Floyd Rose. Bass is the Epi EB-3 SG.

Anyone know a good flute player...?? LOL!!!

Great song and great recording. I enjoyed it very much. The acoustic sound, and performance sounds fantastic, and is the highlight of the recording for me.

A little "Fire On The Mountain" trivia. The song was actually written for Charlie Daniels, and although he named an album "Fire On The Mountain", he never recorded the song.

Thanks Larry...

I didn't know it was written for Daniels. I'm a big fan of country rock. I really could have used a fiddle and a flute in this one too (can't play either one..LOL!) That flute solo in "Fire" always grabbed me and of course the flute helped make the MTB signature sound.

Tom

I enjoyed your "Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" but I liked this one better. All the playing is good and the guitars sound great but you've really managed to get a fantastic acoustic sound. You've "gone for it" on the vocal a bit more which was much better. Really enjoyed that one. Thanks for sharing.

Great song and great recording. I enjoyed it very much. The acoustic sound, and performance sounds fantastic, and is the highlight of the recording for me.

A little "Fire On The Mountain" trivia. The song was actually written for Charlie Daniels, and although he named an album "Fire On The Mountain", he never recorded the song.

Oh, another thing: The Epi DR-500MCE was live-miked but was supplemented with a plugged-in track to enhance the rhythm. This guitar sounds great live-miked especially considering my crude "recording studio". I've always been impressed with the overall sound of the DR-500MCE. I usually prefer to live-mike it because plugged in it sounds like an electric-acoustic....not to say it sounds bad but you can usually tell the difference. I use a single Sure SM58S.

Guest BentonC

Nice- thanks for sharing! I'm getting a lot of Neil Young in your vocal on this one. Were you DI with the guitars and using a plugin amp sim, or did you mic an amp?

Nice- thanks for sharing! I'm getting a lot of Neil Young in your vocal on this one. Were you DI with the guitars and using a plugin amp sim, or did you mic an amp?

Benton,

Your not the first person who mentioned the Neil Young similarity. I can't help it...I'm stuck with this "instrument"...LOL! I suppose I could do worse. My older sister is an operatic soprano who's been singing professionally for years and she's giving me a few pointers on breath control, etc.

The main acoustic work was live-miked. There's a plugged-in acoustic rhythm track to supplement the live miked one for a bit of depth. You can hear it come in on the first chorus. I use a virtual amp in the form of PODFarm for all the electric work. I have a small Roland 30x amp which I've never tried live miked. I really like the sound and tonal variations possible with this amp and might try live-miking in the future. I just hope I can remember the settings for the acoustic because I'm really pleased with the way the Epi DR-500MCE came through on this one. It's a fine guitar IMHO.

Thanks!

Guest BentonC

Benton,

Your not the first person who mentioned the Neil Young similarity. I can't help it...I'm stuck with this "instrument"...LOL! I suppose I could do worse. My older sister is an operatic soprano who's been singing professionally for years and she's giving me a few pointers on breath control, etc.

The main acoustic work was live-miked. There's a plugged-in acoustic rhythm track to supplement the live miked one for a bit of depth. You can hear it come in on the first chorus. I use a virtual amp in the form of PODFarm for all the electric work. I have a small Roland 30x amp which I've never tried live miked. I really like the sound and tonal variations possible with this amp and might try live-miking in the future. I just hope I can remember the settings for the acoustic because I'm really pleased with the way the Epi DR-500MCE came through on this one. It's a fine guitar IMHO.

Thanks!

It was most definitely meant as a compliment! Neil Young is great, and as far as I'm concerned we could use at least one more [thumbup]

Archived