Gibson Brands Forums

LP Ultra III

poopcicle

Hello I am considering this guitar and wondering if anyone has any insight or experience with the ultra model. The newer III has some nice specs on paper but that doesn't always translate to play. I have a 56 reissue Goldtop I love but I think I can get more out of the Ultra in my Band and songwriting base off the pick up and output options> Thanks for any and all help!

Hello I am considering this guitar and wondering if anyone has any insight or experience with the ultra model. The newer III has some nice specs on paper but that doesn't always translate to play. I have a 56 reissue Goldtop I love but I think I can get more out of the Ultra in my Band and songwriting base off the pick up and output options> Thanks for any and all help!

I've got an Ultra II and it's a terrific guitar. The variety of sounds that you blend from the humbuckers with the acoustic Nanomag pickup are incredible. That said, the Ultra III, (which I don't own) has a similar system. Lighter, resonant, more voices that the typical Les Paul, what's not to like?

Bill

I've got one...had it for little over a month now. Got the Midnight Sapphire model.

You'll want to take a look at these two threads:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/73301-les-paul-ultra-iii-vox-vt40-w-pics/page__p__996782#entry996782

and

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/74505-ultra-iii-woes/page__p__1014046#entry1014046

For something that's not in those threads...

The U3 comes with Gibson Brite Wire Lights (10-46) strings. After a couple of weeks, the strings would go out of tune when you pressed them, but were in-tune when used openly. Very strange. So, I decided to put on Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9-42) strings, mainly because I used those on my old guitars. Well, to me, on an LP, they're TOO slinky. They feel better than the Brite Wires (not as coarse), but are too bendy. I then went with EB Regular Slinkys (10-46), and am much happier with them. There's a good explanation about scale length in this thread: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/74755-optimal-string-bending-thickness/

Also, if you want a clean "acoustic" sound from the Nanomag pickup, don't turn the Gain all the way up. If you do, it'll be slightly distorted. Kinda like an acoustic humbucker, if you will. Cool for that effect, but not if you want the sound to be completely clean.

Hope this helps some. :)

Thanks for the replies and the links, looks like I'm gonna have to wait a while longer to get an Ultra III as I decided I wasn't leaving the local music store till I unloaded my epi regent50 and 220 amps seeing as the on duty clerk was being very generous in his offer on them I walked out out with A ltd ed g-400 Korina that I have had my eye on for a while! doh!!!! fear not the ultra III will be mine [biggrin] I just need to do this a piece at a time or else the big boss will get her panties in a bunch and I will being playing in the dog house!

I just need to do this a piece at a time or else the big boss will get her panties in a bunch and I will being playing in the dog house!

Does she play? If not, why don't you teach her. She might develope a lot of GAS now that she will be on the same diet, so-to-speak. Problem solved. So go out and get your Ultra III. [biggrin]

EDIT: I forgot. Just tell her it's for her, and you'll never have to worry about the dog house again.

Thanks for the replies and the links...

You're welcome! Hope they helped some. :)

...looks like I'm gonna have to wait a while longer to get an Ultra III as I decided I wasn't leaving the local music store till I unloaded my epi regent50 and 220 amps seeing as the on duty clerk was being very generous in his offer on them I walked out out with A ltd ed g-400 Korina that I have had my eye on for a while!

Another good choice! Hopefully by the time you're ready for an Ultra-III the tuner issue (if there really is one) will be resolved.

Archived