Gibson Brands Forums

SG 400 and 90's Nighthawks

danl56

I have just recently joined this forum and was hoping to get some information if possible.(1)There is a Epiphone Limited edition G-400 w/maestro in pelham blue available does anyone know anything about them?(2) Are the 90's Nighthawks just as good are better than the new ones? I have just recently bought some Epiphones are simpl amaazed by them. Been walking by these and buying Fenders and Gibsons. I apprecate letting me join the forum seems like a great site. A bunch of knowledgable people as well as guitar lovers Thanx for any input

I remember asking question number one a while ago the only result I came up with is get a refinish (200-300 dollars {my personal luthier gave me that price}) and buy a Allparts reproduction Vibrola (150 dollars) I didn't actually make mine yet cause im gathering money also in the middle of other projects... as for their existance they used to, not anymore you have to scout ebay/craiglslist for that

Also engraving the vibrola costs a bit too... I engraving mine with the US Navy logo... something out of the norm... don't want what everyone else has

Long & Mcquade here in Canada has them as well, but they don't ship to the US, so I'd say there isn't much chance unless you're in Canada sometime, or know someone who is...

The SG's are available thru Sam Ash was wondering more about playability and maestro never had one Appreciate th input

Are you talking about '90's Gibson Nighthawks or Epiphones? The original Gibsons were excellent--one of Gibson's best designs ever in my opinion. The bolt-neck Epiphone versions weren't wonderful, but I've been hearing good things about the current Epiphone reissue--in fact, I'm thinking seriously about getting one. I'd feel a lot better about it if I could find a couple or three to try first, but nobody around here (San Francisco Bay Area) has any in stock--I may just have to order one sight-unseen and hope for the best. Just another downside to today's Internet retail market...

I remember going into Don Wehr's Music City in San Francisco about 1974 to buy a Strat--he must have had at least twenty of them in stock, and I must have played every one of them trying to find one that didn't suck! It's kind of a sad commentary on how far the US guitar companies fell off back then that Epiphone's current overseas production seems to be way better quality than the US was able to manage in the '70's. Of course, US production has come a long way since then, and so has the Asian stuff.

Are you talking about '90's Gibson Nighthawks or Epiphones? The original Gibsons were excellent--one of Gibson's best designs ever in my opinion. The bolt-neck Epiphone versions weren't wonderful, but I've been hearing good things about the current Epiphone reissue--in fact, I'm thinking seriously about getting one. I'd feel a lot better about it if I could find a couple or three to try first, but nobody around here (San Francisco Bay Area) has any in stock--I may just have to order one sight-unseen and hope for the best. Just another downside to today's Internet retail market...

I remember going into Don Wehr's Music City in San Francisco about 1974 to buy a Strat--he must have had at least twenty of them in stock, and I must have played every one of them trying to find one that didn't suck! It's kind of a sad commentary on how far the US guitar companies fell off back then that Epiphone's current overseas production seems to be way better quality than the US was able to manage in the '70's. Of course, US production has come a long way since then, and so has the Asian stuff.

I didn't realize the 90's were bolt ons. I have two of the new Nighthawks really impressed get on thru MF for 399 sometimes have coupons for 100 of if u spend 499 add a case and few things and you are there. So far everything from ordering online for me has been minor usually here in 3 days . Only bought 4 so far thanx for the information.

It looks like they really got it right with the new Nighthawk reissue. Did you say you've got one? How do you like it? I've been trying to get some input from people that have them before I commit to buying one sight-unseen.

Archived