Gibson Brands Forums

Dr Scientist The Elements

Dub-T-123

I just sent the Elements back into the wild after getting the chance to borrow a prototype to try with my rig for a while.

I had it for about 6 days, and I got the chance to take it to band practice but unfortunately I didn't record any demos for you guys. So here's a demo that's not from me

This pedal is great. Even though it was a prototype it was VERY well made. The innards are beautiful and there are some funny comments printed on the circuit board.

Anyways.. This pedal looks sort of intimidating and it might seem like too many knobs and switches but it's actually very easy to dial in good sounds even if you have no idea what you're doing.

It worked nicely in a band setup (guitar, bass, drums, and singing). The eq makes it easy to dial in a sound that cuts through. I know you guys love your mids.. This thing is really setup to give you control of the mids.

This is the highest gain distortion I have ever used. This pedal would be perfect for metal players because it has great sounding super heavy distortion paired with an eq that actually works. Scoop your mids, boost mids, cut bass for tighter bass with high gain, boost bass for sludge, etc.

With that being said I'm not a metal player and I preferred the more mild settings. It does a really great cleanish crunch with the clipping diodes removed. Sounded awesome and cut through very well with my ac30. It's also very responsive to picking dynamics and your guitar's volume. A lot of dirt pedals either just don't clean up very well or sound dark and muddy when you roll your guitar's volume down. This pedal cleans up very naturally and doesn't get dark and muffled sounding.

Finally, the mix control.. It blends between the dry and distorted signals. It's a lot more useful than I expected. It's really nice for mixing in a little clean signal to get some more clarity and definition with chords on distorted settings. Plus there's an expression jack so you can control the mix control with an expression pedal for some interesting sounds. The mix also makes this useful for bass players. You can mix in some dry bass signal to help retain the low end (although the pedal has plenty of low end on tap).

Anyways.. Just thought I'd give you guys a little review and tell you that this pedal is totally AWESOME and you should buy one.

I'm not much of a "distortion" guy. I like clean, overdrive, and fuzz. I'd be more inclined to reach for a Big Muff or something for that type of sound.

But if I had to pick one distortion I'd probably go with the Elements because it's really versatile and sounds great. If I already had a lighter od I'd go for a more simple pedal like the No Brainer.

Archived