Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 335

fretplay

Hi Fretplay, Jelly Wheat is right on the money, so to speak, on this point. The carved guitars you're thinking of, and I'm not even sure that it's "hand carved" are the CS models, not the Es models of the 336 and 356. They are notably higher priced than the 336 and 356, like double. Anyway, my experience with the straight Es336 has never been outstanding. I always have felt like they were 335 lites. I personally am also not a big fan of the smaller body size. If I'm getting an ES, I want to make it count. Also it just feels funky having that body so small especially the higher you go up the neck. Just my thoughts on those guitars, but there are some people that love them, so you never know.

I agree... I think what you are trying to say is that there is something about the geometry that is just not right. It's sorta like having a '71 Chrysler Newport coupe with a straight 6 under the hood. It may get you from A to B, but not in the style to which you have become accustomed.

J/W

[-X

I agree... I think what you are trying to say is that there is something about the geometry that is just not right. It's sorta like having a '71 Chrysler Newport coupe with a straight 6 under the hood. It may get you from A to B, but not in the style to which you have become accustomed.

J/W

[-X

I like your "angle" on this Jelly Wheat.

I like your "angle" on this Jelly Wheat.

I see it like this: the '71 Chrysler Newport, unlike the Challenger, Dart, or Valiant, had this HUGE trunk, into which one could optimally fit 4 to 6 cases of beer, along with two semi-hollowbody guitars and a Fender Blackface Twin Reverb. That trunk loading balanced ideally with a 440 cu. in V-8, and provided excellent maneuverability (or at least so it seemed after the 5th beer or so).

Take that same geometry, and reduce the up-front weight by 27% or so with a big ol' straight six, and that vehicle degenerated into an unmanageable swill-bucket, incapable of accelerating the constantly-shifting liquid cargo in the cavernous trunk or vectoring it adroitly along a sinuous country road..

Wah-LAH!!! What was otherwise a chariot fit for the gods was reduced, by virtue of faulty geometry, into a leather-appointed, chrome plated manure spreader!!!

Same thing with the 336 or 339-sized body on that long Gibson neck... I don't like it when it feels as though I have to put a jiu-jutsu hold on an instrument just to play a little Mozart on it!!! Is it all my imagination??? ... Perhaps, or else this medication just isn't working for me, any more...

J/W

:huh:

I may be wrong on this, but if ensuring investment value as well as a player, you probably can't go too far wrong on a 335.

A lotta variations have come and gone, some with greater, some with lesser collector/player interest at various times after they were discontinued. OTOH, as a classic design with many made and now well cared for, the 335 may be less likely to hit a cult following and sky-high sale value...

I guess I see the 335 as simply so classic and versatile it'd be hard to go wrong either as a player or as a piece that is likely to hold value. There are other Gibbies that do various jobs better, I think. None quite as versatile. Yeah, that's just an old guy's opinion, but...

Where I am now, if I could have only one electric, it'd be the 175. If I were 30 years younger... I think I'd have to go with the 335 regardless of lower price and less bling. Less bling also means less concern with potential problems with the bling features, too, while playing "out."

Again... I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

As for JellyWheat's commentary on the old full-size American Chryslers... <sigh> Jelly, you really shouldn't have done that, 'cuz I'm gonna be sighing the rest of the day. Mine were from the '50s and '60s, but wonderful transportation, especially for pickers. I got around 27 mph out of a '57 version at 65-75 mph and a full load of guitar gear and a girlfriend cuddled close on the nice bench seat.

m

I may be wrong on this, but if ensuring investment value as well as a player, you probably can't go too far wrong on a 335.

A lotta variations have come and gone, some with greater, some with lesser collector/player interest at various times after they were discontinued. OTOH, as a classic design with many made and now well cared for, the 335 may be less likely to hit a cult following and sky-high sale value...

Where I am now, if I could have only one electric, it'd be the 175.

Again... I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

As for JellyWheat's commentary on the old full-size American Chryslers... <sigh> I got around 27 mph out of a '57 version at 65-75 mph and a full load of guitar gear and a girlfriend cuddled close on the nice bench seat.

m

<sigh>, INDEED, milod! But you are clearly a much more highly-skilled driver than I... I could never safely get it over 35 to 40 mph when MY girlfriend was "cuddled up" beside me. [woot] ... If I could only have one girlfriend, it would be... <sigh>, INDEED! [wub]

Regards,

J/W

[wink]

Jelly...

The nice thing about the tiny two-seaters was that I owned mine before the pill.

<chortle>

Always worried a little driving the old Chryslers. Or not so much driving, but parking. That's why I had the two-seaters. They were great when dating girls who thought marriage and kids were a great idea at a time in my life when I thought such stuff made no sense at all. Kids are kinda like elephants: Fun to watch, but I'd hate to have to feed and clean up after one on a regular basis.

m

Man, I'm in this boat with ya! ](*,) I've tried a Epiphone SHERATON II but the frets made more noise than the pickups. I've considered an Epi Dot Deluxe (can't go too far wrong @ 399.00) but I'm told the gold plating on the hardware doesn't last very long, and I kinda like binding on a fret board (unless it's a Fender). The 335 plain top ebony is an option to the red, the faded red,the firetruck RED or the to my eye too high contrast 3 color sunburst. Then there's flame or not, if you can get one now that Memphis is O.B. with the rosewood embargo issue. There's a lot of variation in 335's as some weigh in @ 9 lb and others @ 7.5 lb. To my ear the lighter ones sound better than the heavy ones. But the real hang up is that no stocking dealer has more than one of any style to compare with another. I've been at this for 3 months and I'm still shopping.

No help, right? ](*,) Oh, I neglected to mention that there are various neck profiles to consider.

After a 90 day search I located a great 335! =D>

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a new or used ES 335 with the following specs. Will someone please help me locate the appropriate model? Thanks!

-block inlay

-antique faded cherry red with a gloss finish!

-thicker neck if possible, but willing to go with a slimmer 60's style if I have to

-on the pickup switch, I like the "orange colored cap" over the "cream colored cap"....that may be easy to change afterwards

I'm thinking about the new 50th anniversary 1963 custom shop reissue, but its hard to find pictures and it looks like a VOS cherry finish. Hard to find what I'm looking for, please help I want my own 335!!!

Archived