Gibson Brands Forums

Help! 4 bad ES 339 in a row??

ldweber51

If it were me, I would call Musician's Friend Private Reserve. The guitars are stored properly and your purchase will be handled by one guy. They will check out their stock and find you a good one and send you pix.

Guitar Center has a bad reputation. The cracks at the fret ends are because the guitar wasn't stored properly.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=es339

I've bought like 4 or 5 axes from Musician's Friend and they're great.

I too buy through Musicians' Friend, PV. In fact, I just bought an es-339 through musicians Friend and could not be happier. I too have often wondered if GC gets "Seconds" from manufacturers. How many of their "new" guitars have I played that were badly flawed -- cracks, chips, etc.

I too buy through Musicians' Friend, PV. In fact, I just bought an es-339 through musicians Friend and could not be happier. I too have often wondered if GC gets "Seconds" from manufacturers. How many of their "new" guitars have I played that were badly flawed -- cracks, chips, etc.

Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are both owned by the same Company. I would be willing to bet they are using the same DC in Overland Park, KS.

I've never ordered from Musician's Friend, but maybe someone can verify if the shipments come from the same place? Being the type of company Bain Capital is, I could not see them owning 2 of the largest musical instrument retailers in the country, and use 2 different DCs for both.

I am glad to hear that they took care of you with an ES335. You will be much happier with the 335 IMHO

Thanks for your reply EvanPC!

The final outcome of this big mess? GC offered me a Memphis ES335 Dot for what i paid for the ES339. I took the deal....

I think its the least they could do for your troubles.I have a 335 and love it to death.Most versatile guitar I have ever had.

I think its the least they could do for your troubles.I have a 335 and love it to death.Most versatile guitar I have ever had.

Thanks for your reply budglo, I enjoy the 335 a lot.

The only issue i'm having with it is static\crackling sounds when I touch the guitar with one hand. If I touch the any metal with my second hand the nosie disappears.

Some players say it's the dry winter weather, but i keep my place pretty humidified. I'm got some anti-static guitar polish coming, I'll try that & hope for the best.

Have a great day! Larry...

Thanks for your reply budglo, I enjoy the 335 a lot.

The only issue i'm having with it is static\crackling sounds when I touch the guitar with one hand. If I touch the any metal with my second hand the nosie disappears.

Some players say it's the dry winter weather, but i keep my place pretty humidified. I'm got some anti-static guitar polish coming, I'll try that & hope for the best.

Have a great day! Larry...

Almost sounds to me like a grounding problem.Could be your guitar ,but could be the amp or even the outlet that its plugged into.

Almost sounds to me like a grounding problem.Could be your guitar ,but could be the amp or even the outlet that its plugged into.

Remember a 335 isn't shielded so it will ground out when you touch it unless your wiring in your house is perfect.

You don't want to shield a semi hollow. Back in the day the 50s and 60s you would see some models with shielding cans on the pots and output jack.

Its more parts so more expensive and also makes the guitar much harder to service.

Its not a defect.

Archived