Gibson Brands Forums

My new '52 Gibson ES-125... real or fake?

dallasblues

Okay guys. I recently bought a '52 Gibson ES-125 at the Arlington Guitar Show a couple of weeks ago, and after getting it home I realized that the Gibson logo is off center on the headstock. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't notice it when inspecting it at the show. After a closer look (with the naked eye), the logo appears to be a decal. Now I'm getting nervous! I've even questioned the originality of the finish. It looks awfully nice for a guitar this age. If it had indeed been refinished, it certainly wasn't disclosed to me at the show. Of course, I didn't exactly ask the question either. I'm starting to feel stupid and anxious about this. How can I tell if this guitar is indeed a Gibson guitar?

post-12001-083852500 1319670184_thumb.jpg

post-12001-099752300 1319670240_thumb.jpg

Any way you could post larger photos? Maybe more close-ups?

For starters, you shouldn't be worried that it's a decal logo on a 125. The off-center logo could have been a factory goof. Other than that, your full length photo is so small that it's hard to be sure about anything. From what I can tell, it does look awfully "clean" for a '52. It could well have been refinished... or, it could be a fake, but it's just hard to tell. Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? Hopefully better photos will help us to help you further.

125s are like fender champs.. because they are entry models a lot of them were bought for home use.. never gigged etc.

You WILL see very clean 125s but I have yet to see one that didnt have a crazed finish.. that is the biggest tip off..

I cant comment on the logo

Archived