Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pickup Installation question

SGSpecialguy

I bought a used Sg special about a year ago, I just realized the top pickup was installed upside down I believe, the screws should be up on the top one ( neck) and down on the bottom (bridge) pickups right ??, they are both installed down on this guitar,, how does that affect the tone if at all ?

I bought a used Sg special about a year ago, I just realized the top pickup was installed upside down I believe, the screws should be up on the top one ( neck) and down on the bottom (bridge) pickups right ??, they are both installed down on this guitar,, how does that affect the tone if at all ?

Congratulations! Your guitar has the peter green mod.

Congratulations! Your guitar has the peter green mod.

you know,, just today I was reading about this and this guitarist, I had never heard of this guy,, hard to believe because this guy is fantastic and what a story behind him !! I found this video of this guy and what tone he has !! of course I heard of Fleetwood Mac and new of their early blues influences but never really paid much attention to them,, hard for me to believe that I missed this guys contribution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgY9eEFiYM&list=FLIxSdpd15U969PCWI5qKt7A&feature=mh_lolz

Well, it won't effect your tone if you're not using both pickups at the same time. If you do use both at once then you will here when it's like to have a pickups that is out of phase magneticly. It's a very thin sound just like when Peter Green uses both pickups.

Well, it won't effect your tone if you're not using both pickups at the same time. If you do use both at once then you will here when it's like to have a pickups that is out of phase magneticly. It's a very thin sound just like when Peter Green uses both pickups.

To do the mod you actually have to remove the magnet and flip it end to end. If it is a 4 wire pickup just reverse the hot and ground on the pot for a similar effect. Just putting the pickup in backwards doesn't change the sound other than giving you the adjustable poles nearer the bridge. I can't tell the difference.

I've been using the two pups together and I like the variety of tones I'm able to achieve with that combination, I've not noticed a "thin" tone though, if its just a matter of removing the pick guard and flipping the pickup around I will do that upon my next re-string, cosmetically it doesnt really bother me much

When changing out pickups (I'm about to do this myself for the first time), is there any special solder I should use ???

Will any cheap soldering gun work ????

Yes a soldering gun will work, but you will do a much neater job with a soldering iron (small with a pointy tip). Use standard rosin core solder. The shiny stuff. Pick up some tinning flux. Put some on all surfaces you are going to solder. It makes the solder stick better particularly on a flat surface like the bottom of a pot. Tin (put solder on) everything before you attach it. Tinning makes the job way quicker and neater.

Yes a soldering gun will work, but you will do a much neater job with a soldering iron (small with a pointy tip). Use standard rosin core solder. The shiny stuff. Pick up some tinning flux. Put some on all surfaces you are going to solder. It makes the solder stick better particularly on a flat surface like the bottom of a pot. Tin (put solder on) everything before you attach it. Tinning makes the job way quicker and neater.

Thank you.....I'm dropping in a 57 and a 57+ into a Gibby SG...I was going to carve out a spot for a third PU, but the factory holes look too nice

to f***up..........Then a Bigsby !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.....I'm dropping in a 57 and a 57+ into a Gibby SG...I was going to carve out a spot for a third PU, but the factory holes look too nice

to f***up..........Then a Bigsby !!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard '57s in a standard. Let us know how they sound. I'm guessing they will sound great.

To do the mod you actually have to remove the magnet and flip it end to end. If it is a 4 wire pickup just reverse the hot and ground on the pot for a similar effect. Just putting the pickup in backwards doesn't change the sound other than giving you the adjustable poles nearer the bridge. I can't tell the difference.

You're right... I'm thinking all backwards today.

Archived