Gibson Brands Forums

Not Gibson related, but would appreciate some input

John1234

Alright so unfortunately I'm going to have to part ways with my roland JC120. The clean is unparalleled, and the chorus effect is absolutely beautiful. But I just need something a little more versatile now.

I posted an ad on craigslist for an amp swap. To my surprise, I got a reply from a guy who apparently works at guitar center here in LA. He says if I bring the amp in, he'll take a look at it. If it works fine, he'll do an amp swap for one of the used Vox AC30's they have in stock.

Sounds a little too good to be true to me. Sounds sketchy, but I don't really know how the used process works at guitar center. Have you ever had an experience like this?

It really sounds sketchy to me because I made it rather obvious that my JC120 is vintage. It is from the 80's. I only bought it for $400 on craigslist but I've seen them go for much lower.

Brand new, the Vox AC30 is actually cheaper than a Roland JC120, but for whatever reason Vox amps seem to hold their value a bit better. I haven't seen one on craigslist/ebay go for less than $650.

Anyway, just curious what you guys think... Do you think the guy is legit? I don't want to waste my time getting it over there to have him offer me like $100 in store credit or some bullsh*t, or get mugged in the parking lot or something. I've noticed that the JC120 ad seems to attract a lot of scammers :/

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

I used to be really worried about CL meet ups, but I've done a few deals with guitar center employees, since you are going to their place of work, its highly unlikely he would try to screw you out of a good deal

Thanks for the reply man. So it is actually a standard thing for GC employees to deal on CL?

You think he'll do a full amp swap, or is he just trying to get me in there for a "trade in" credit towards the amp?

Thanks for the reply man. So it is actually a standard thing for GC employees to deal on CL?

You think he'll do a full amp swap, or is he just trying to get me in there for a "trade in" credit towards the amp?

the few I have done, have all been legit. I never did a trade in thing, but I like when I traded my 69 fuzz (which I now regret but didn't a year ago) he just offered a trade for an old pedal he had, and a 200 dollar pedal (that he would get his employee discount on, so I got a fuzz factory and a tremolo pedal.

It happens every once in a while

I haven't checked into it, but I think there may be something significant about 80's era JC-120 amps as opposed to newer ones. You might do some checking before you trade it in.

I am not the hippest on AC30 amps. You may already know this, but there are big differences between them. There is not just the "AC30". They were made by different companies and have vastly different levels of quality. Unless YOU know what to look for, I would not be so hasty to see what some used ones are selling for compared to new ones.

I can tell you this: if you are looking to sell an 80's JC-120, you should not have a problem, and even though they aren't tube amps, they are built to a very high level of quality.

I used to be really worried about CL meet ups, but I've done a few deals with guitar center employees, since you are going to their place of work, its highly unlikely he would try to screw you out of a good deal

+1. I'd make sure its one of the regular AC30's though. There's a new version that sells new for alot less.

I have to disagree.

If you do not know the value of what you are selling and what you are getting in return, you are more likely to walk out with something that is half the value of what you came in with.

Actually, that is fair: it is a retail business, and you should EXPECT to get about 50-60% (a wholesale price) trading in and pay full value of something buying.

But, the point is, unless you know that, you might feel ripped.

+1. I'd make sure its one of the regular AC30's though. There's a new version that sells new for alot less.

Yup............Be careful......Roland Chorus amps are very nice.......Loved mine until it was stolen....

Read up on all the AC30 varients as Jon S. suggests......

This, I would find out the model and year of the AC30 beforehand. If the guy mentions VR or valve reactor I'd pass. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about what he actually has.

Archived