Gibson Brands Forums

Inherited Hollow body Gibson

blackrock

post-37280-016563400 1320694859_thumb.jpgI inherited this hollow body Gibson guitar, but could not find any information on it. The only numbers I could find are inside the body and they are 6707 13

I have no idea what I have here and don't really have the money to waste on an appraisal. Can anyone help me out?

Looks like an ES-125, but I don't know much about it. I'm sure you'll get a flood of people that will be able to tell you all about it soon. Seems that it may not be worth too much since it is considered an entry level guitar. If it is an ES-125, they were available from 1941 or 1946-1970. Looks nice; hope it brings you happiness whatever you decide to do with it.

ES-125, and your factory order number dates it to 1951. You can check completed auctions at ebay to see what they've been selling for. I think a ballpark figure would be somewhere around $1500, if it's all original and in nice condition.

Thats actually a very sought after guitar. In what looks from the pictures to be in nice original condition. In the UK this guitar would set you back about £1200 - £1500 depending on exact condition.

That guitar is the very reason Godin now produce the 5th avenue kingpin, a modern version. Also very nice indeed!

I personally would love to own that guitar. If I were you Id keep it!

Just a thought here, but...

Depending on from whom you inherited it...

Just a nice, slightly damp flannel cloth would get a lot of the needed cleaning handled.

Even if you don't play guitar, unless you need the money or don't have room, I'd suggest you consider this as you would a piece of art worthy of display. Me, I'd have it playing and try to wear it out. <grin>

m

If you do clean that guitar then dont use any silicon polish on it. Use a special guitar cleaner and polish.

What works great isn't a guitar polish or guitar cleaner at all. I use NOVUS Plastic Polish #2. It's a glass and mirror cleaner and it cleans old guitars so good it will blow you away the difference that you'll see after using it. Cleans, shines, and gets small surface scratches out. You can buy it at most glass and mirror specialty stores.

What works great isn't a guitar polish or guitar cleaner at all. I use NOVUS Plastic Polish #2. It's a glass and mirror cleaner and it cleans old guitars so good it will blow you away the difference that you'll see after using it. Cleans, shines, and gets small surface scratches out. You can buy it at most glass and mirror specialty stores.

I admit, I use a guitar polish that has some silicones in it on a modern Gibson. It's called Guitar Scratch Remover and comes in two different mixtures, one is for deeper scratches and one is a polish and swirl / cloudiness remover. Now this stuff is almost like a miracle substance,it maintains a 'Like New' finish and helps stop contaminants sticking to it in the first place. Also my guitar has a three piece maple neck so it's not really likely to decapitate itself lol

This though is a vintage guitar with a solid one piece mahogony neck up for sale. I would not use any silicon polish at all because generally as a buyer you would want to make that decision yourself. This could put buyers off seeing a really shiney old guitar rather than the duller look it would naturally have. Silicon is an issue when repairs are needed.

Archived